Can I get HD with regular COAX cable service on my new smart 4K LED TV's?

louweed

Estimable
Feb 6, 2015
I recently upgraded both TVs in my house with the 2 tv's below:

http://

http://

I currently have Comcast Starter Package (not the Digital HD service). How can I get HD on these TV's if all I have is a coax cable to plug into them? Is there any way for me to get HD service w/o having to upgrade my Comcast service to their HD service which will cost me at least an extra $15+ bucks per month?

Rogue Leader

Distinguished

No.

Those converters are to downgrade an HD signal from an HDMI device to work on an older COAX only tv.

The only COAX / HDMI converter that would do this is, an HD cable box with HD service.

louweed

Estimable
Feb 6, 2015
so basically there the cable companies and the TV makers are in cohoots and force your hand into paying additional bucks every month for better service because i purchased better tvs?

Rogue Leader

Distinguished

I wouldn't call it that, its a higher level of TV service, and therefore higher price. They need to provide you with equipment, and service that equipment. The fact they even provide non HD service in your area is surprising (they cut it in my area a couple years ago IIRC).

thenewnumber2

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
You're technically correct, but in fairness, HD video consumes a lot more bandwidth than SD: you're essentially getting a higher bandwidth connection when you upgrade to HD, and as you probably know, more bandwidth = higher price.

louweed

Estimable
Feb 6, 2015

idk you'd think with everyone cutting the cord and/or streaming tv, prices would come down not up. so basically i have to rent their stupid hd box i can't just buy one outright somewhere online?

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
You can buy a relatively cheap over-the-air digital antenna and hook that up to your TV for a way better picture than what cable\satellite TV providers are pumping out. You wont get cable channels or networks but you will get plenty of beautiful local HD channels, no subscription required. There are even websites to help you identify what channels you will receive before making the purchase.

http://www.channelmaster.com/Antenna-Selection-a/134.htm

Kurdain1

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
You can purchase 'signal upconverters" that will over sample the signal and up the resolution. A quick google search will reveal a number of options, however I have never personally used one so I wouldn't know how well they work, and it seems most are not cheap.

I would think at best you will get a resolution somewhere between SD and HD. If you try this I would be interested in knowing how it worked out.

G

Actually, I would say there absolutely is some measure of collusion or foul play afoot here. The broadcasts from the stations/networks are going out in 720p or 1080p, and if you don't PAY EXTRA to the cable company or satellite tv provider for the HD content, what you get is downconverted by your provider. Exactly what it's downconverted to I don't know, but I've seen some very poor looking channels on non-HD but still digital cable tv. It's the downconverted basic channels that go out onto the cable in the clear (unencrypted so you don't need a cable box or card to watch). Generally, you need the provider's set-top box to get ANY HD content. It's just another way for the to squeeze the customer, and another reason to cut the cord altogether and go without a tv subscription at all.

But there is still the availability of HD content in it's free, over-the-air (OTA) form from the broadcast tv networks. If you can receive local channels OTA, in most instances you'll get a very good 720p or 1080p signal that bests what you generally get from the cable/satellite/IPTV providers.

So, to sum up; pay extra for HD from your subscription tv service provider, or spend $20 on a decent antenna to get your local channels in HD. Optionally, you may tell your subscription tv service provider to stuff it.

Kurdain1

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007

This is EXACTLY what we did several months ago and HAVEN'T LOOKED BACK. I actually watch MORE TV now I don't have cable/satellite. I wasn't pissed at DirectTV but I am glad I changed.
Funny though, once you call and they find you are dead serious about cancelling my bill went from $95/month to offering $55 month; cancelled anyway.
CUT THE CORD!