Can I permanently remove the second AMD graphics card on a lenovo thinkpad E550 (Hybrid Graphics Garbage)

cybersurvivor44

Prominent
Nov 22, 2017
I own a Lenovo Thinkpad E550 and I've had absolute misery with it since I got it 2-3 years back. My biggest annoyance is with the hybrid graphics garbage that came with the laptop. The second graphics card has never, ever worked correctly and has only caused unmeasurable pain and suffering on the software end. I'd say it is akin to trying to tell a severely hyperactive child having a sugar rush to sit completely still (not happening).I've had a perfectly fine time using only the intel integrated card (when the AMD card isn't in the way) and I want to physically pull out the AMD card like all the hair I've pulled out trying to get it to literally just not do anything. Is this possible? Is the AMD card onboard like the Intel one (which I intend to keep) or can it be removed? I'm also ok using any dirty tricks to get rid of it as I have 0 plans to ever use hybrid graphics with this system ever again so if there's a workaround that involves cutting wires or something I'm all in.

Solution
no physical way to remove the graphics card. and cutting wires would almost cause a bios fault and make the computer unbootable

what is your exact issue you are having? you say its a pain but you never say what it is actually doing. can you also provide the specific model # of your laptop?

there is a way you can disable a graphics card but i want to make sure i dont cause you more issues i need to know what hardware before i can provide my full anwser as i dont want to have you disable windows from using the card leaving your windows os useless

maxwellmelon

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
no physical way to remove the graphics card. and cutting wires would almost cause a bios fault and make the computer unbootable

what is your exact issue you are having? you say its a pain but you never say what it is actually doing. can you also provide the specific model # of your laptop?

there is a way you can disable a graphics card but i want to make sure i dont cause you more issues i need to know what hardware before i can provide my full anwser as i dont want to have you disable windows from using the card leaving your windows os useless

Solution