Can I swap out an Quadro fx3700m for an ATI 7740m Firepro in a Dell Precision M6400?

Derpyholic030

Estimable
Feb 22, 2015
My gpu got fried somehow In my m6400, and when I started researching possible causes I found that a lot of people were having issues with crashing with the fx3700m. It would seem the better option is the ATI card, but is it just a simple swap?
thanks

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The swap is actually pretty easy. The Dell uses a MXM slot for the GPU, you remove the old one and replace. Actually a similar process to changing a GPU in a desktop rig. Make sure you get a replacement Dell MXM GPU to minimize any possible issues.

Derpyholic030

Estimable
Feb 22, 2015
Exactly what I was looking for, Thanks!
I read somewhere that upgrading the cpu could require a bios/driver update beforehand, so I just wanted to make sure.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Just keep track of all the thermal pads you may have to remove and re-use after making the swap. If you carefully remove them, you'll be able to use again. I performed a similar change with an Alienware M15x. Took just a few minutes.

Be sure to get the service manual for your M6400 to walk you through the replacement steps.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Saif Haq Laptop Tech Support 0
B Laptop Tech Support 2
S Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 2
S Laptop Tech Support 2
H Laptop Tech Support 2
BashTheOutstanding Laptop Tech Support 1
V Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 2
I Laptop Tech Support 3
M Laptop Tech Support 6