Can I upgrade my acer aspire 4349 ram and cpu ?

Tran_Vie

Estimable
Sep 18, 2015
Hi, I got an old Acer Aspire 4349 laptop with 1G Hz Memory and Celeron B800 CPU, can I upgrade CPU or RAM ? does ACer make cpu or ram die-soldering?

Interesting, the short answer is yes, you can change the CPU in your laptop, and also add memory. There are caveats though, here...
1) Ram, the OS has an effect on your options. You may have Windows Starter 32bit installed, if so the most ram the system will use is under 4GB but you could do the full 8GB the laptop can support if you have Windows Home 64bit.
I would suggest using a memory finder tool offered by the various memory manufacturers to find compatible memory.
2) Although the CPU is not soldered to the motherboard (makes swapping easier) and the Core i7-2710QE would physically fit the motherboard socket, there is the possible problem with BIOS support provided by Acer, the only other CPU I found in the Aspire 4349 (guaranteed to be supported) is the Celeron B815 which (IMO) wouldn't provide enough benefit that changing would be perceptibly advantageous. A search for CPU upgrades for the Aspire may help some but, again, I'm not so sure about benefit to cost

tomasrosalesr

Prominent
Apr 5, 2017

Hey, I have the same laptop (Acer 4349) with an Intel B815 processor and 2 GB of RAM. I went ahead and installed an SSD on it. Easy peasy. Then I got myself some RAM and installed on my laptop. I installed 2x8 GB (DDR3 PC3-12800 GSkill). All 16 GB were recognized and used by Win 10 Pro x64 (even though Acer said that only 8 GB were to be recognized). Good. Next, I went and bought an Intel i7 processor on eBay (SR02N GENUINE INTEL CORE I7-2670QM 2.2 GHZ LAPTOP CPU SOCKET G2). I put it on and replaced the thermal paste with some Arctic Silver 5. Lucky me, it works great. I just had to update some drivers and voilá. No need to desolder anything. Just remember to unlock the socket (flat screwdriver) before trying to remove the processor.

I know that this sounds crazy, but i´m now in possession of a monster of a laptop for a fraction of the price. One more thing: This laptop is SUPER EASY to disassemble. Just remove the batery, then remove all the screws of the bottom plate, remove the disc unit and you're done. Really easy to do.

http://imgur.com/a/hKuFj

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/hKuFj"><a href="//imgur.com/hKuFj"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Tianshi

Prominent
May 9, 2017

Tianshi

Prominent
May 9, 2017
Hello, I also have Acer 4349 2GB and am thinking of upgrading but not sure which part to upgrade first. My laptop is slow and one day message came out says memory not enough. So I want to ask, should I upgrade RAM first or CPU first? BTW, what's SSD? Thanks so much..

tomasrosalesr

Prominent
Apr 5, 2017
Hi. First of all, an SSD is a solid state drive. Think of it as a really fast hard drive with no moving parts. An SSD will dramatically increase your laptop's ​boot time and it is the first thing I'd recommend you to buy. After that you can upgrade memory (more is always better, but keep in mind that the laptop can only manage 16 GB (2 x 8 GB). If after that you still think that you need more speed, buy THE EXACT SAME PROCESSOR that I recommended, because I can not guarantee that any other will work. If you're swapping processors, don't forget to get some thermal paste to replace the old one.

Good luck!

Tianshi

Prominent
May 9, 2017

muh.riza.burhani12

Prominent
Sep 26, 2017

mine is acer aspire 4749z with the same mainboard type as yours and I'm going to upgrade my cpu (my current cpu is B960) to core i7 2620m, I do some research on the internet and I found the socket is compatible but what I'm afraid is my BIOS doesn't support it, is it safe for me to upgrade my cpu as you did since the laptop type is similiar ?

tomasrosalesr

Prominent
Apr 5, 2017

Hi. It's never safe to upgrade your laptop's CPU, however, if you want to have some fun and have 60 bucks I'd say go for it. The worse thing that can happen is that you lose some time and 60 bucks or so. Check the thermal output of the CPU and the socket type.

Have fun!

jisellejagger

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017

jisellejagger

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
Hey, I liked your reply. I was just wondering if your memory upgrade was laptop specific. Because ebay and amazom list the Gskill as desktop memeory. Can you help me understand this better? Thanks in advance

tomasrosalesr

Prominent
Apr 5, 2017

Hi. It's not mandatory to upgrade the memory using the Gskill brand however you should buy some laptop memory of the same specs I described. I used the Gskill brand because it was cheaper and they actually sell it for laptops in my country.

Good luck!