can i upgrade my notebook?

Imre Balogh

Estimable
May 3, 2015
I have an asus x55vd-sx037d notebook with a 2nd generation i3 processor. so the question is: can i upgrade my processor to an i5 or i7? thank you for your answers :)

RubixPenguin518

Estimable
May 1, 2015
It is possible to upgrade laptops but it's complicated. Laptop hardware is specialized so can't be easily recycled. The PSUs are specialized and so a higher power CPU may be a problem. I'm no expert, but I'd say: yes, you can upgrade it, but an i5 or 17 may be harder, and if you want it for gaming then you'd also need a GPU and fitting one of those aftermarket may well be completely impossible as the Motherboard won't be designed for it.

The X55VD series don't come with anything above i3. ( http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/X55VD/specifications/ ) and the PSU is 90W. A quad-core i5 will be at least 35W so it's probably not practical I'm afraid, although I'll stand corrected if someone else has something to bring to the table.

Imre Balogh

Estimable
May 3, 2015

yeah, i know about the physical problems: heating... i may upgrade my heatpipe, but i am interested about the supporting. now i was reading that have some i7 2nd gen processor what have the same tdp than my actual (i3 2328m) processor, but these procs have 4 cores, what i really need. i have a 610m geforce with 1gb vram, and i get very well with that. i dont wanna play ultra, or high, not even medium, i am ok with low settings (remembering me that "this is just a game" :) )

I dont really know what is psu... that is that thing what i put in the connector? i saw some of these things on the market from 90W to 180W (i can change the connector type if it is not supported...) so the question is : can i put an i7 2nd gen mobile processor into my motherboard and can my laptop using it without problem if i buy a better PSU?

RubixPenguin518

Estimable
May 1, 2015

PSU=Power Supply Unit (Thing that contols electricity of the PC)

I'm not a Laptop expert, but most i3s take an LGA1155 socket. An i7 with an FCLGA1155 would fit if you can control heat and power. The thing is, a nice 17 would be wasted in games while using a 610m. Your GPU would bottleneck it. I don't know much about M series interchangeability, but you'd probably do better with an i5 and an 840m or something similar if you could afford it and it would work.

Note: There are also i5s that take FCLGA1155 sockets.

Imre Balogh

Estimable
May 3, 2015

now with this processor, gpu and 6gb of ddr3 ram, i tried to play dying light and it was ok... my fps fas horrible when i was out, but i could play with all low settings and medium texture. i really want maybe 30fps or something around this... i have just bought the laptop, and i can afford a better processor but a better gpu?... i thnk not because of the integrated gpu. i dont want to buy again a laptop

i3 socket FCPGA988 and i7 2670QM FCPGA988 what i saw on intel website

RubixPenguin518

Estimable
May 1, 2015
OK, so the i7 2670QM is a good processor, and it's onboard graphics are actually surprisingly similar to the 610m. I'm highly surprised you could run dying light ( http://www.pcgamer.com/dying-light-system-requirements-are-killer/ ) on a 610. That i7 would definitely help your PC, but it just may be too good (like putting a v8 in a golf buggy; it just won't be necessary. By all means go for the i7, but a it could be slight overkill for this build.