Can I upgrade RAM on a machine I don't have admin access to and which is DiskEncrypted?

orionanomaly

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
I have a Dell Latitude e7470 which I would like to RAM-upgrade to 16GB.

The issue is it is a Company owned machine with an encrypted disk and a security-crippled operating system. I just want to swap the RAM for more compatible RAM, but am trying to figure out whether this may create any bad issues with the onboard security software not recognizing new hardware.

I can't think of anything, as my understanding is the RAM should be recognized regardless. I don't have BIOS access to the machine however.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Solution
Unless the IT guys have given you permission to upgrade the RAM, it's best to just deal with the bad situation. At best, you're helping others make money off your work, at worst the computer will throw up gang signs and you won't be able to return the RAM. If it will make your comfort that much better, bring it in on a Saturday, don't tell any one, change it out and change it back if it doesn't work, and then tell the IT guys you don't know what happened to it. No... Just a bad idea all around. My little brother is an engineer who works with the county, and his bosses bought him 1080Tis hoping that his professional programs would run better because the 1080ti is the fastest you can buy, but maybe not for...

jossrik

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2002
Unless the IT guys have given you permission to upgrade the RAM, it's best to just deal with the bad situation. At best, you're helping others make money off your work, at worst the computer will throw up gang signs and you won't be able to return the RAM. If it will make your comfort that much better, bring it in on a Saturday, don't tell any one, change it out and change it back if it doesn't work, and then tell the IT guys you don't know what happened to it. No... Just a bad idea all around. My little brother is an engineer who works with the county, and his bosses bought him 1080Tis hoping that his professional programs would run better because the 1080ti is the fastest you can buy, but maybe not for solidworks/flowworks/CAD/and such... The IT guys have no idea why the computers are so slow and my little brother has to just put up with it. 4Gb of RAM for windows 10 home on a city machine... But if he touches it he can get fired. Not worth it.

Solution
Adding / changing RAM will change "hardware signature" of the laptop. This might trigger "tampering attempt" with the security software on your laptop, rendering it unusable until fixed by your IT department.

Go to official route - your boss to talk to their boss, even if you buy the RAM by yourself.

USAFRet

Illustrious

This is 100% within the realm of your IT dept. 100%.
If the system does not meet your performance requirements, this is when you go through your boss, and get it upgraded.

I assume you would like to continue to receive a paycheck?
If so, do not do this on your own.