Can my PC run VR even at low settings?

Apr 21, 2018
Hi I’m going to be building a my own gaming PC, and I was just wondering if it could run VR, even if it has to run at low settings. http://, here’s the PC build.

Solution
Well, it depends on what you are looking to run in VR. If you are talking about games like Fallout VR or other high end titles with lots of effects, maybe not, but there are plenty of games for VR that don't require all that power. You could easily play games like Beat Saber, Fruit Ninja VR, and maybe even Holopoint.

You might have an ideal use case here for a WMR headset too as they require less powerful hardware to drive. You could easily run some of the more simple games.

Then you'd have a VR headset for when you are ready to upgrade and if you drop in something like a Ryzen 5 and a GTX 1060 you'd be able to play just about anything.

I use a WMR headset on my desktop (i5 4590S, RX 470) and laptop (i7 7700HQ, GTX 1060), and I'm at...

Hellfire13

Respectable
Apr 20, 2016
1050ti is not a VR ready card. The minimum is 1060... https://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/vr/supported-gpus

Optimized your build with better parts...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($94.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($64.39 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($43.90 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB SC GAMING Video Card ($228.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair - Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($28.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM (2015) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $577.15
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-02 11:07 EDT-0400

justin.m.beauvais

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017
Well, it depends on what you are looking to run in VR. If you are talking about games like Fallout VR or other high end titles with lots of effects, maybe not, but there are plenty of games for VR that don't require all that power. You could easily play games like Beat Saber, Fruit Ninja VR, and maybe even Holopoint.

You might have an ideal use case here for a WMR headset too as they require less powerful hardware to drive. You could easily run some of the more simple games.

Then you'd have a VR headset for when you are ready to upgrade and if you drop in something like a Ryzen 5 and a GTX 1060 you'd be able to play just about anything.

I use a WMR headset on my desktop (i5 4590S, RX 470) and laptop (i7 7700HQ, GTX 1060), and I'm at the lower end of being able to run really high end VR experiences. I can play anything, but sometimes things stutter a little. However, there are games like I mentioned above that run great for me, and VR movies and such run on the basic WMR tier which is an Intel 600 series GPU, so there will be things that your system can play.

Solution

Rogue Leader

Distinguished
You really want to avoid using very minimal to low end stuff for VR. Without a very high frame rate many people tend towards nausea. Then you have a very expensive paperweight. IMO spend the money you would spend on a headset on making the build better, and get a VR headset later on.