Can my TV be fixed? TV shows no picture, but plays all sound! TV screen is pitch black. Shows red light on bottom right.

terrorlioness

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
I have a Samsung UN39FH5000 39-Inch 1080p 60Hz LED TV (2013 Model) that has a problem where my tv screen is pitch black showing no picture (no light showing from inside TV when I peek from atop when plugged in and on) but the TV has sound! It plays it's turn off/on sound and shows the red light on the bottom right. When on/or connected to say a video game console, it shows no picture, not even a faint light, but plays all sound. So, what is the issue? I bought this TV back in November 2013 at Best Buy brand new. I would have my TV on mostly all 2014 and liked playing video games/leaving my tv on sometimes for hours last year before it went black. The screen just one day went black (still playing sound) while I was playing a video game. The TV screen just looks like it's off when it's on! Did something burn out or fail? My TV was in perfect condition, no water contact, no cracked screen. I just wanna know if I can get this fix. This TV was my baby. Also to lastly add, when my TV use to work, I would look atop my TV and see a bright light on when my TV was on. Now not anymore since the screen went black. The light is completely off.

Solution
Unless you have some sentimental value toward this TV, buying another would probably cheaper than trying to fix it.

One thing you can try to figure out is, with it powered on, shine a flashlight on the screen and if you can see "shadows" of whatever it's trying to display then the LED backlit is broken, else the display driver hardware is bad.
Unless you have some sentimental value toward this TV, buying another would probably cheaper than trying to fix it.

One thing you can try to figure out is, with it powered on, shine a flashlight on the screen and if you can see "shadows" of whatever it's trying to display then the LED backlit is broken, else the display driver hardware is bad.

Solution

boju

Distinguished
Give an electronic device repairer a call, see if your model TV is listed in their service records. Most likely it's just a board that's gone but who knows. If they know most likely the cause then they might be able to help.

I've got'n a Yamaha Receiver repaired which only required a few capacitors to be re-solded and a Jensen subwoofer needing a circuit board. Each time it only cost me couple hundred worth in labor and parts.

I'm in Australia so the place i went to was called Impulse electronics locally. Where ever you are bound to me a mob who services electronics and for a TV if you can't bring it to them might charge a little extra to come to you.