Can not see vids from my new ext HD on my older TV But I can with my older ext HD

kelbrit

Estimable
Jul 29, 2015
Good Day
About 3 years ago I purchased an ext WD My Book 2tb HD. I put all my movies on it. I watched them on my Samsung flat screen LN52B750U flat screen.
Now I thought it would be a good time to back the older ext HD with another. So I purchased another WD 2tb My Book. I put all of my movies on this new ext HD. But my older TV does not see the moives. However if I plug this newer ext HD into a newer TV I can see the movies.
So I thought WD My Book must have changed something on the inside of the newer My Book. I called WD they had no answer. So I returned the WD My Book and purchased a Seagate 2tb Backup Plus. Same story I can my older TV can not see the vid where as my two newer one can.

Does anyone know why this is happening?
Thank you for your time
Bob Milner
Southport, NC

kelbrit

Estimable
Jul 29, 2015
Hi it's not that my older TV does not support some file formats it that it does support the ones on my older WD but not my newer WD same model "My Book", 2TB and yes both have NTFS.

D_Know_WD

Estimable
Don't you have some USB options on the old TV?(when connecting an external drive)
As you've tried two different newer drives and the files stored on them can't be seen, then I guess your older TV should have some compatibility issue. It may be a good idea to contact the TV's manufacturer Support.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD

kelbrit

Estimable
Jul 29, 2015
Yes I do have 2 USB options and have tried them both to no avail. The interesting part is if I take one of my movies from that ext HD drive that the TV can not see and put it on a thumb drive the TV has no problem seeing my movie