Can somebody please explain to me what is causing my laptop to act very sluggish

sashankranga

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016
I just got a used laptop in the mail. It was a Dell latitude e5440. It has an i5 processor, 8gb ram, win10 pro 64 bit and a 250 gb hard drive.

I reinstalled windows on it, and despite this, the laptop runs very slowly. Internet is very slow, even though my router is close to the laptop and I have 75 mbit internet downloads. Also, loading programs is very difficult because of how long it takes to do so. I also cannot use audio, because the sound on the laptop is crackling, even with headphones.

I tried to run some tests to find out if this was a hard drive failure. However, I ran it through error checking on Windows and nothing came up. If someone could help me figure out what is wrong with my laptop, I would greatly appreciate it.

hang-the-9

Titan
First thing I'd try is another hard drive, especially if you did a full clean new Windows setup. Did you install all the drivers from Dell after you installed Windows? The audio issue may be a hardware problem. You may want to consider returning the system.

sashankranga

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016

I tried to reinstall drivers, but they dont solve anything. I also ran some tests to see if there is latency of any kind. The audio hardware doesn't seem to be an issue, because not always does it crackle, and it only does so when there is slowdown and it occurs regardless whether i use headphones or speakers.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 0
F Laptop Tech Support 2
TalShabi8 Laptop Tech Support 0
M Laptop Tech Support 3
R Laptop Tech Support 5
S Laptop Tech Support 4
B Laptop Tech Support 6
Gene-Paul Hart Laptop Tech Support 3
A Laptop Tech Support 7
D Laptop Tech Support 6