Can someone tell me what is wrong with my laptop?

Ryathor

Estimable
May 1, 2014
I've called the company that the laptop is made by, which is Eurocom, a couple of times about this issue. I looked on the internet virtually all over and am still finding no solution. The laptop fans start blowing fast with really hot air, starts beeping very angrily and the caps lock, num lock and scroll lock all start flashing with each beep. So I'm guessing it's obviously overheating. I just don't know what could be causing it since I've cleaned all the fans, taken them apart and made sure they're all in working order. My only other guesses could be that the thermal paste is no longer working on the cpu or gpu, defective cpu or gpu heatsink, or the gpu just can't handle the games I'm running, which are world of tanks and armored warfare. The GPU is a AMD radeon HD8970M and the cpu is a i7-3630QM. Please let me know what you think. I'm ready to send the thing back for all the hassle it's giving me, but wondering if there is anything I can do so I don't have to do that. Thanks.

Solution

Glad to hear it, but when you call, they will likely tell you to take it to an authorized repair shop or to mail it to them. I doubt that disassembly on the level needed to change the paste wouldn't void the warranty.

It definitely sounds like an overheating issue. You could try updating the GPU drivers to make sure you're not on the bugged one. Other than that, it sounds like you will need to use...

Martell1977

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
If you opened up the case, you probably aren't allowed to return it anymore and voided the warranty. Depends on the company and model. (i.e. ASUS, to add a HDD, you have to open the entire bottom of the case one some models. So there is some grey area there)

It is very possible that the thermal paste isn't keeping up, you could try replacing it with some Arctic MX-4, but I would start with getting good cooling pad first and make sure it's not just an airflow problem.

Ryathor

Estimable
May 1, 2014

When I called, one of their tech support told me to open up the back and blow out the fans with a can of compressed air. I have a laptop cooler, still no luck. I could try re applying the thermal paste. not sure if I want to do that if it could cause any issues with warranty. I'm gonna call tomorrow and see what the rules are on that.

Martell1977

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010

Glad to hear it, but when you call, they will likely tell you to take it to an authorized repair shop or to mail it to them. I doubt that disassembly on the level needed to change the paste wouldn't void the warranty.

It definitely sounds like an overheating issue. You could try updating the GPU drivers to make sure you're not on the bugged one. Other than that, it sounds like you will need to use the warranty to get it fixed/replaced.

Solution