Can someone try out this little Windows software and tell me whether it's any good?

Rafael Mestdag

Estimable
Mar 25, 2014
I promise it's not spam and that it hasn't got any sort of virus or anything like that.
I've found this little program that improves Windows(any version) by basically cleaning up some special Windows' folders and optimizing the partitions/disks.

If you do try it out, when it's installed, select the last option on the right which is the most comprehensive one and then the program let's you select which actions to take during the actual cleaning/optimizing. Once you're done, run it and let it finish, then tell us whether it's improved your Windows performance or not. In my case, it's performed a small miracle in both Windows 7 and 10.

Please try it out for yourselves and let us all know if it's worked for you.

Solution
Nope. I used a throwaway account and it retrieved information I didn't give it(my name). It is not my computer name. I deleted it, cleaned my PC, reverted to an earlier time, cleaned up the registry and came here. It's an invasive product that I won't be recommending. I don't need some nosy M$ employee harvesting information for M$, himself or whatever. Stay away. I had a feeling prior to installing that POJ(read s) when you said Microsoft. And once again I learned not to ignore my gut.

As with most any M$ product it phones home after the uninstall. It doesn't open a browser and send you back to that site but instead does it quietly. If I didn't have Glasswire and other stuff I wouldn't know it was communicating. Don't trust it and...

k1114

Distinguished
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Rafael Mestdag : "Can someone try out this little Windows software and tell me whether it's any good?"

Rafael Mestdag

Estimable
Mar 25, 2014

No, you don't get it, I've tried it and it has worked for me, I just want to know if it does also work for you guys, or if it's just me.

aquielisunari

Distinguished
What sets this software apart from something like Ccleaner? Which special folders does it clean? Windows.~BT and $Windows.~WS are some specific folders which may not be cleaned by Windows disk cleanup. Specifics are certainly beneficial when presenting us with a anonymous app.. What miracles happened after the cleaning? These vague aspects of this program need to be known. How does it get along along with various security suites out there while it's running? http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3473888/reclaim-disk-space-windows.html is a fairly exhaustive cleaning procedure. Creating a tutorial http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/all.html might be helpful.

Rafael Mestdag

Estimable
Mar 25, 2014
I don't remember exactly how the official site describes it, but take a look at it and it'll tell you:

https://www.koshyjohn.com/software/diskmax/

It's basically a more comprehensive version of Ccleaner and done by a current Microsoft employee, as the author explains well on his page.

Rafael Mestdag

Estimable
Mar 25, 2014
This a list of the program's features/actions:

1. Automates emptying your recycle bin (if specified), cleaning up of installation remnants, and debugging information.
2.Cleans up every user's History, Temp, Temporary Internet Files, Cookies (if specified), Recently opened documents list, explorer thumbnail cache and windows error reporting logs.
3.Clears out Windows cache, unused legacy cursors (on Vista, if specified), debugging info, internet logs, help center caches, repair information, DLL caches, Logs, temporary files and windows update roll-back files.
4. Cleans up after Vista SP1/SP2 install and Windows 7 SP1 install (if specified).
5.Removes registry entries for multiple Most Recently Used lists.
6. Clears out Windows event logs (no other application out there does this).
7.Gives you the option to deep scan your hard-disk to remove all files of type log, old, prv, chk, swp, bak, gid, wbk, tmp and dmp. This is only intended for advanced users.
8.Rearranges files around so that they can be accessed faster.

aquielisunari

Distinguished
Nope. I used a throwaway account and it retrieved information I didn't give it(my name). It is not my computer name. I deleted it, cleaned my PC, reverted to an earlier time, cleaned up the registry and came here. It's an invasive product that I won't be recommending. I don't need some nosy M$ employee harvesting information for M$, himself or whatever. Stay away. I had a feeling prior to installing that POJ(read s) when you said Microsoft. And once again I learned not to ignore my gut.

As with most any M$ product it phones home after the uninstall. It doesn't open a browser and send you back to that site but instead does it quietly. If I didn't have Glasswire and other stuff I wouldn't know it was communicating. Don't trust it and please don't download it.

Solution

aquielisunari

Distinguished

Number six is a falsehood. There's no reason to spread misinformation. Ccleaner does that
Ccleaner_Event_logs.png