Can this get surround sound?

Solution
if you think beats sound good then a good pair of headphones will blow your mind. you suggested buying new headphones which is why i mentioned what i personally use. you can get stereo headphones with good output which will work with laptops.

the trouble with sound quality and surround sound gaming headsets is that to keep costs reasonable individual components are of lesser quality then in a good stereo headset of the same price range. personally i would suggest going with a good stereo headset over surround gaming headset unless you play many games with the laptop with a headset. personally i dont like such headsets and use stereo headphones in such cases. your choice.

from your description it sound it sounds like you have standard...
i've purchased xtra bass sony headphones in the past and they sounded so dreadful i would compare them to the beats by dr dre. the bass may be louder than average but everything else is muddled so bad it doesnt much matter.

as far as i can tell they are stereo headphones. the 3.5mm headphone jack only supports a stereo signal so this makes sense. most "surround sound" headphones have their own onboard sound processing which eliminates the need for a sound card as well.

------

do you want surround sound or do you want GOOD sound? if you want good high quality sound then go with a pair of studio headphones. personally i use audiotechnica ath-m50s which are low enough resistance to be powered by my normal laptop integrated soundcard. no need for external soundcards, amps or other such products.

personally i highly dislike realtek drivers (so buggy and crappy) but sometimes we need to just deal with it. i wouldnt go out of my way to go for them if there are other options.

as far as what laptop you buy... worry about why you want a laptop first. find a laptop which will handle all of the tasks you want it to.

tuppy

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013
I'm looking for a decent mix between quality and surround (which seems to not exist). I've had Tritton AX Pro's and I love their functionality, but the audio is pretty muddy compared to my beats and it requires a wall plug, which is disadvantageous for laptops. I'm not too much of an audiophile so the audio quality of beats is fine with me.

The laptop I plan on getting has that sound card, and has four jacks: pink, green, blue, and white. What is this exactly? And in the case that there is no such headphone that has quality and surround, I'll just go for quality.

if you think beats sound good then a good pair of headphones will blow your mind. you suggested buying new headphones which is why i mentioned what i personally use. you can get stereo headphones with good output which will work with laptops.

the trouble with sound quality and surround sound gaming headsets is that to keep costs reasonable individual components are of lesser quality then in a good stereo headset of the same price range. personally i would suggest going with a good stereo headset over surround gaming headset unless you play many games with the laptop with a headset. personally i dont like such headsets and use stereo headphones in such cases. your choice.

from your description it sound it sounds like you have standard 2.0 sound output like most laptops.

sound-card.jpg

20130221-inputoutput-sound%20card.jpg

i'm not saying surround sound headsets sound horrible, just not as good as stereo headphones in the same price range. some may disagree and this is all opinion. pick what solution you like best.

keep in mind that many surround sound gaming headsets include an onboard sound card inside the unit which plugs into your pc via usb. this means that you do not need any special outputs on your laptop.

if you want to get a good pair of headphones i would suggest looking at studio headphones from sennheiser or audiotechnica. keep the ohm resistance low and they will be powered with a normal 3.5mm headphone jack. i believe the model i use has a 35ohm resistance and it works fine. some very expensive headphones may have a resistance of 200+ohms and these require an amplifier.

just some more information for you to consider.............

Solution