Can this low budget laptop video edit

Beshoy_3

Commendable
Aug 26, 2016
I recently got this laptop:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01DT4A2R4/ref=mp_s_a_1_1/161-9203281-4724463?ie=UTF8&qid=1472221637&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=acer+inspire+e15#productDescription_secondary_view_div_1472221667908

And was wondering if it would be able to run programs like after effects and premiere pro. I know it's not the best laptop; just trying to get an idea of what it's capable of.
I'm also planning on upgrading the ram from 8gb to either 16 or 32, haven't decided yet

Thanks

Solution

Zero chance of damage, if it overheats it will automatically slow down to protect itself.

As for 16 vs 32 gb, you aren't going to be able to make great use of 32gb, you can have it if you want, but having enough data to need 32gb means the CPU can't really handle it!
For normal use, this is a very good laptop, very good bang for buck with an included SSD for only $550.

For video editing though it is going to struggle.
What many don't realize is that the U series CPUs in laptops are not the same as in desktops.
There is a suffix at the end of the CPU on laptops and it is either a U or Q. With Q series the same differences of a desktop apply to i3, i5, i7; with U series even an i7 is just a dual core with hyperthreading. Thus a U series i7 due to its lower clock rate is not really any better then a desktop i3.

You could literally build a desktop tower with an i5 in it for cheaper (granted you then would not have a monitor).

If you want a laptop then look at medium end gaming ones that have a Q series CPU in it.

Also more and more laptops are starting to solder the ram direct to the board so research the model to make sure it is upgradeable.

Beshoy_3

Commendable
Aug 26, 2016

yeah, i had the option of buying the i7 version of it for $150 more, but since they are both dual core I decided it wasn't worth it. I know it will probably struggle with video editing, but is it possible I damage the laptop or fry something from trying to push it too hard?

Also, would upgrading to 32 gb of ram be worth it or would 16 gb be fine

Zero chance of damage, if it overheats it will automatically slow down to protect itself.

As for 16 vs 32 gb, you aren't going to be able to make great use of 32gb, you can have it if you want, but having enough data to need 32gb means the CPU can't really handle it!

Solution