Can this type of computer play CDs & DVDs?

brooklynj

Commendable
Oct 22, 2016
Solution
With that laptop, you need to attach an external DVD drive to play CDs and DVDs. You can try to contact Acer customer support to see if they will sell you a DVD drive for that laptop. Unlikely, but worth a shot.

DVD drives have started to disappear from laptops a few years ago.

little_me

Estimable
May 9, 2015
the amazon page you linked lists "Optical Drive None." as one of the features so.. no, it doesn't have a drive.
you can get external USB drive for like 20 though so it isn't a big issue.
or.. seemingly closer to 25 to 40 canadian.

edit: In case I am wrong, you should still see the cd/dvd drive on the computer when you use windows explorer, right clicking should allow you to choose "eject" which would open it.

You looked up a review of the "ES1-531-C97T", and it showed an optical drive?

Some versions of the ES1-531 come with an optical drive, and some don't. That's why THE FULL MODEL NUMBER IS NEEDED to determine such things. ES1-531 isn't a full model number. ES1-531-C97T is an example of one. :D

With that laptop, you need to attach an external DVD drive to play CDs and DVDs. You can try to contact Acer customer support to see if they will sell you a DVD drive for that laptop. Unlikely, but worth a shot.

DVD drives have started to disappear from laptops a few years ago.

Solution

Other Acer models lately as well. My guess is that it is a temporary thing until optical drives are phased out completely.

Apparently not.

Believe or not, some very cheap cars don't come with radios, u expect a radio but no, is an "optional" (must pay more) feature.

CD/DVD are considered "old" technology and oftentimes these days, vendor sell you a laptop wo one so the price is cheaper/entice you to buy.