Can you check motherboard with no screen available

grahajb0

Commendable
May 30, 2016
I found a Samsung SM-T550 literally crushed on the side of the road and was just going to mess with it because I never have before. So my question is, the digitizer and LCD are toast but when I plug it in and hit the power the motherboard is generating heat. Is that a good sign? Enough so that I can get the screen and digitizer and see if I can fix it? Like I said, this is more of a never done it and want to try thing so it's not imperative that it come back to life but if the motherboard is working I'd like to give it a shot. Also, is there any way to test the board short of taking it somewhere in this situation?

Thanks

JDG

Solution
Other than the use of a multimeter to test the motherboard itself, I don't know of a specific tool that could test it.

However, that said, I was thinking... You said the screen is toast... but what about the ports? I ask because you 'may', and I emphasize 'may', be able to hook it up to a computer via USB and try some troubleshooting that way.

If the computer will recognize it, I would suggest then that the motherboard is working. Also, you can see if you can access the information on the device via the computer.

I can't, again, guarantee it will work, but can't hurt to try. Just keep in mind that replacing the parts, when you include your time to repair it, may not be worth the effort. It might just be better to buy one...
Other than the use of a multimeter to test the motherboard itself, I don't know of a specific tool that could test it.

However, that said, I was thinking... You said the screen is toast... but what about the ports? I ask because you 'may', and I emphasize 'may', be able to hook it up to a computer via USB and try some troubleshooting that way.

If the computer will recognize it, I would suggest then that the motherboard is working. Also, you can see if you can access the information on the device via the computer.

I can't, again, guarantee it will work, but can't hurt to try. Just keep in mind that replacing the parts, when you include your time to repair it, may not be worth the effort. It might just be better to buy one.

Unless, as you said, you are just experimenting, then you may learn a lot from the experience.

Solution

grahajb0

Commendable
May 30, 2016
Great idea,

Like I said this is all new to me but if your suggestion works I may fix it either way. If it's successful one of my kids can use it, if not, like you said I can learn something.

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS