Canada Resorts to Net ''Throttling'' as Last Resort

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]There are more and more news about digital distribution, legal media streaming, ...But this kind of measures from ISPs would definitely hurt the digital economy.[/citation]

Exactly so.

How about they crack down on spammers to free up their bandwidth first? Crazy I know...

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
What the ????? I'm paying for a service of 3mbps and I better get that. (I can't remember the exact speed, but we'll call it X)

You sell me a service and then later change my service? This shouldn't be allowed. If you didn't want to give me 24/7 X mbps service, then don't sell it to me.

fleaweb

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
Bell and Rogers were already throttling torrent traffic, generally from 4PM to 2AM. There is no way the CRTC is going to monitor them to see if they are doing it as a "last resort", it's up to the ISP's to police themselves, and they've been doing such a good job up until now...
It's business as usual, thanks CRTC for nothing.
CRTC u suck, abolish the CRTC.

dupaman

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
[citation][nom]tomgash[/nom]Actually, I just went to Teksavvys' website and found this banner ad about a price hike on internet usage. You should check it out.http://www.teksavvy.com/en/content.asp?ID=7&mID=1It's the one called WARNING etc...[/citation]

Thanks for posting the link. I signed the petition and used their form to send a letter to my MP and other relevant politicians! Everyone else should do the same!

yang

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
as a canadian resident. I've got fed up with the cap from both bell and rogers, I say everyone should switch to other providers that don't have caps. I myself use ACANAC and I recommend every bell/roger customers switch over to the good side

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
What makes me sad (as someone living in Canada, and having this decision made) is that now, all choice is gone. Or rather, we have the choice of capped service from provider A, B, C, D, etc. Since the major ISPs provide the service to the small companies, then they will charge it out at a rate that will keep the small ISPs from cutting prices too much. And how easy will it be for them to say to the CRTC that SmalGuy ISp is constantly exceeding caps so we need to throttle them - we can prove it; read this gobbledygook report we put together in high tech language we know you don't understand. It's okay - we'll explain it to you. It says we need to throttle this guy (because he competes with us, don't you know).

It's like requiring all restaurant to offer baloney sandwiches only. You can change the condiments, vary your price, change the bread, but you have to buy your baloney from the big chain restaurant who makes it, at a "fair" price that they set. See? Variety for everyone.

All of the CRTC people are educated - so how come they're so ignorant?

Status
Not open for further replies.