Canadian Crosses U.S. Border by Showing Passport on his iPad

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deanjo

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
Hasn't anybody ever watch 24? Good guys use Macs and terrorists use PC's so why wouldn't they let him across? :p

srgess

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
arent this can be happen when you get stolen your wallet with passeport you can have a copy scanned that you give to a friend that will be eligible. So i guess having that copy on a tablet can be eligible in that spexific case.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Wonder if the media would have picked up on this if he'd come through the Mexican border - or even known he was in the country in the first place..

G

May as well implant biochips into our heads to do away with ID cards, Drivers Licenses, and Passports that way we can have a legitimate excuse to start wearing tin foil hats for the same reasons why some people are already wearing tin foil hats.

/sarcasm

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
I wonder if I'm alone in thinking that having paper identification is unnecessary?

I mean... if someone wanted to say, I dunno, smuggle shit-tons of guns and drugs into the country, they're not going to use the front door. They'll just go in on another point along the Arizona boarder or something, like the Mexican cartels do every day.

I'm not worried about whether some dude coming through an armed border checkpoint, who's willing to walk through all kinds of security scanners and shit has an ID or not. Scan em' to make sure that he's not filled will drugs, and let his ass in.

viciouz2000

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
the border checkpoint between US and Canada is also pretty lax, now if he was down south between US and Mexico, there would be a problem.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I'm impressed. Usually when I try to cross into the US I get hassled badly. Not sure why they don't want Canadians' money. I was once denied entry to the US because I had a mostly eaten hamburger on my dash (bought from a fast food place while waiting in line at the border).

Heading into Canada is hilariously easy though. Usually just "Did you buy anything", "No", "Ok, have a good day then".

bigpoppastuke

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Real or not, he was probably in the "border hut" checking his passport number and pulling up his information. As long as he has that number, all the information including picture would be pulled up on his computer anyways. As long as he had government issued identification, like a drivers licence proving he is who he says he is, then I don't see a problem.

The problem I see here is that this guy is attacking two people that were giving him a break over the holidays.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
[citation][nom]RADIO_ACTIVE[/nom]Obviously a PR stunt by Apple[/citation]

Why? Because he used an iPad? Would it make you feel better if they said "a tablet like" device ?

Status
Not open for further replies.