Canadian Teenagers Send Lego Man into Near Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
My first thought was considering how messed up this planet is, how much trouble are they in? I'm sure launching stuff into 3x cruising altitude isn't good for staying anonymous. I certainly hope they don't get in trouble.

And to think the only time my lego men flew was when I threw them at my siblings...

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]Xatos[/nom]Canadian flag killed the whole thing.[/citation]

How does putting your nation's flag on your Lego man kill this? This teenagers are from Canada so they put a Canadian flag in their project and I fail to understand why that's a problem.

__-_-_-__

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
ilegal in USA. it's promoting lego therefore it's a comercial UAV. can't fly even 1cm above the ground without a pilots license.
If it's for recreational use then you can even fly a 10meter wingspan UAV into stratosphere. all legal.

jaina

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]How does putting your nation's flag on your Lego man kill this? This teenagers are from Canada so they put a Canadian flag in their project and I fail to understand why that's a problem.[/citation]

The flag is plastic -_-

lp231

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]How does putting your nation's flag on your Lego man kill this? This teenagers are from Canada so they put a Canadian flag in their project and I fail to understand why that's a problem.[/citation]
He must be a American with head stuck way up his a**
or just extremely jealous it's not a American flag.

lp231

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
[citation][nom]lp231[/nom]He must be a American with head stuck way up his a**or just extremely jealous it's not a American flag.[/citation]
Also in space which is a vacuum, a flag will not move since there is no AIR!

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]lp231[/nom]Also in space which is a vacuum, a flag will not move since there is no AIR![/citation]
24km is still within the stratosphere (second layer from the bottom). So there still is air, but it's very thin.

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
[citation][nom]lp231[/nom]Also in space which is a vacuum, a flag will not move since there is no AIR![/citation]

False, Air is just a medium which transfers energy to the flag. Just like any other motion such as spinning can transfer energy making the flag "wave" aswell.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Oh and, at 1:02, what's that spec in the background, over the horizon? The moon? I'm downloading the 1080p version to check!

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008

A Helium )or other kind of) Balloon can not fly you into a vacuum. That's why you can not reach the space station that way for example. still, wondering how high a weather balloon could actually make it.

Anyone here know ?

Status
Not open for further replies.