Cannot disable Data Execution Prevention; no Secure Boot option in UEFI/BIOS.

_ryoma

Prominent
Mar 31, 2017
Hello,

Please read the whole thing, i'll get to the point eventually

I had this problem with CS:GO not opening at all. I bough the game on Steam, it worked fine, but about 2 months ago the game just wouldn't launch. I searched countless of posts trying the figure out whats preventing CS:GO from starting. I eventually gave up after a few weeks, and hoped W10 update or game update would fix it [pathetic].

A few days after that my friend and I decided we play some CS 1.6 for nostalgia. We both got non-steam versions. The game wouldn't launch. The same thing happened, process killed itself after few seconds without any error or sign. I searched it up and I found out its caused by Data Execution Prevention [DEP]. I follow the tutorial and added CS 1.6 to the exceptions, and it worked.

When we finished playing I though I could do the same thing with the CS:GO. I tried adding it to the exception list, but no luck. Error popped up saying something like: "This game cannot be ran without Data Execution Prevention".

I tried to google it again, and one guide suggested to turn off DEP completelty via cmd. When I entered the command "bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOfff" [command to turn it completely off] it said: "The value is protected by Secure Boot policy and cannot be modified or deleted.".

So I searched again and found out I have to turn off Secure Boot in UEFI/BIOS. Now I'm stuck here because I don't have have Secure Boot option in UEFI/BIOS, and it's apparently always on. This laptop is actually kind of weird [see below]

• MODEL: K55VM
    BIOS CHIP: K55VJ [replaced before I got the laptop, the service messed up and used K55VJ BIOS instead]

I am not sure if the wrong BIOS is the cause of Secure Boot option missing, since all of the K55V series laptops are really similiar.

The fact that the game worked fine before it's also kind of weird. :??:

Solution
I solved the problem.
Apparently long time ago I installed a modification called 'ReShade'. It wasn't working, and it prevented my CS:GO from opening. I deleted the 'd3d9.dll' file [the actual reshade] in folder 'bin' and the game launched just fine.

The Spec Ops game still doesnt work but I have no interest in playing it anymore.

_ryoma

Prominent
Mar 31, 2017
I solved the problem.
Apparently long time ago I installed a modification called 'ReShade'. It wasn't working, and it prevented my CS:GO from opening. I deleted the 'd3d9.dll' file [the actual reshade] in folder 'bin' and the game launched just fine.

The Spec Ops game still doesnt work but I have no interest in playing it anymore.

Solution