Solved! No option in Toshiba BIOS for UEFI to CMS. system BIOS version 1.10 EC version 1.0

Aug 10, 2021
Hi,
Am installing windows 8.1from a 3.0 USB stick.
I go into the BIOS, disable Secure Boot but there is no setting in the BIOS to disable UEFI. Nothing at all.
Now the machine will try to boot from the flask disk in the external drive. It tries and the access light on the drive flashes as it is being read and then it starts the boot from the hard drive. The flash is good as it works on other machines.

I have failed to install the OS on the computer.

Does anyone have any ideas? I know that the UEFI needs to be disabled but I don't see any way to do it. Thank you all for the time. Have a great week!

Cheers,
[-name and website removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 10, 2021
I could be wrong, but I don't thing UEFI needs to be disabled. I do believe you need to format the USB stick to GPT, however.

If you can run Win 10 on this machine, you should upgrade. The Windows Media Creation tool makes it easy to create a bootable USB. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Hi,
Am installing windows 8.1from a 3.0 USB stick.
I go into the BIOS, disable Secure Boot but there is no setting in the BIOS to disable UEFI. Nothing at all.
Now the machine will try to boot from the flash disk in the external drive. It tries and the access light on the drive flashes as it is being read and then it starts the boot from the hard drive. The flash is good as it works on other machines.

I have failed to install the OS on the computer.

Does anyone have any ideas? I know that the UEFI needs to be disabled but I don't see any way to do it. Thank you all for the time. Have a great week!

Cheers,
[-name and website removed]

I finally figured out how to handle it.

As you are adding an OS on the USB stick,
ensure that you have selected the UEFI option and file format as fat32-default.

I used Rufus to make an executable file, not sure of other software like power ISO

Then in the BIOS settings, turn secure boot off.

Thanks for your comment #AlHuneke.