Cannot get 4k pass-through to work with Yamaha RX-A820 receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 23, 2018
So I recently purchased my first 4k display (Sony KD55X720E 55-Inch 4k Ultra HD Smart LED TV) and found myself having an issue with the 4k pass through with my Yamaha RX-A820 receiver.

I have my PC set up as part of my home theater system, and I originally had it hooked up to my receiver VIA HDMI cable for video output. The issue I'm having now is that my PC doesn't allow me to choose a 4k resolution when hooked up to the receiver.

If I run an HDMI cable from the PC directly to the 4k TV it has no issue. The only downside to this is I am no longer able to access the on-screen menu of my receiver.

I have attempted a few different fixes:
Going into my nvidia control panel and forcing a "custom" resolution of 3840 x 2160 at the appropriate refresh rate, but still no luck.

I updated the firmware on the receiver to the most current version, updated my graphics drivers (Nvidia GTX 970), etc.

Additionally, I went into the settings of the receiver and switched all of the video options to "through" rather than "auto" or forcing a certain resolution.

All of this did nothing to correct the issue. I was still unable to select a 4k option on my PC when connected to the receiver. It recognizes my display not as the Sony TV, but as the rx-a820 and it believes the max resolution available is 1920x1080.

I had genuinely thought I'd fixed the issue by "tricking" the receiver. I hooked my TV directly to the pc, switched it to a 4k resolution with no problem, then immediately swapped cables around, hoping that since the receiver was set to "through" that it would just continue with the 4k resolution. Nope. My PC automatically reverted back to 1080p. I DID notice that I now had the option for a 4k resolution, but when I chose it, the TV would think it had lost video signal all together.

I've noticed people have some 4k pass through issues with other Yamaha receivers that have been fixed by accessing the Advanced Menu (powering off receiver then access by holding "straight" button and "power" button down at the same) and utilizing some 4k option in there, but my particular model of receiver apparently lacks that feature.

If there's anybody that could offer a possible solution, please help out! I've done a bit of digging but can't seem to find any other forums relating to this specific issue.

Thanks for taking the time to read and I'm eager to hear back from anyone!

Edit: I forgot to mention I'm running windows 7 still. I hate 10.

Solution
The max resolution of the Yamaha RX-A820 receiver is 1920x1080? That's the problem. If it only support the 1080P. From you PC to Yamaha then to TV, it can only support the 1080P, not the 4K.

whereyou

Proper
Jul 26, 2018
The max resolution of the Yamaha RX-A820 receiver is 1920x1080? That's the problem. If it only support the 1080P. From you PC to Yamaha then to TV, it can only support the 1080P, not the 4K.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.