Question Cannot update firmware on Vizio e60u-d3

Jan 17, 2022
Hello. I had to recently replace the main board on my Vizio e60u-d3 (I also had to replace the back lights - wow, what a chore!).

Anyways, the firmware on my replacement board is extremely old (v2.2.7.4), and apparently because this tv is a 2016 model, I'm not able to update the firmware myself through either the tv menu or via flash drive. And so I'm apparently at the mercy of waiting for Vizio to eventually push out a firmware update.

I've contacted Vizio support about this, but they really couldn't offer me a solution. And what really stinks is this old firmware doesn't contain the 'Smartcast' input from which you can stream all the usual apps like Netflix and Hulu directly from the tv itself - as opposed to casting everything from your iPhone to the 'Cast' input.

So am I stuck here, or does anyone have a possible alternative way for me to install the latest firmware update?

Many thanks in advance!

Jan 17, 2022
As an update, after a lengthy chat with a Vizio support tech, now I'm being told that the firmware on my new main board CANNOT be updated? I find this very hard to believe.

I did tell them that the tv works perfectly and that this doesn't really make any sense. Assuming there's an issue with my replacement main board, I did ask that if I got another board - then I should be able to do the firmware update on that one, right? But then they told me that something with the tv could be the problem - which again doesn't make any sense as the other boards (power and t-conn) shouldn't have anything to do with firmware updates.

Unless, the firmware updates aren't actually stored on the main board? But they are, right?

Jan 17, 2022
Well well well. After further discussion with Vizio support - and even being told by one tech that they would not help me unless I bought the board from Vizparts.com (who, upon calling, told me they've discontinued this board) - I thought I was stuck until I luckily stumbled across a Reddit thread (see link below) which explains what I needed to do in order to FINALLY get my firmware updated.

The issue is you can't go directly from really old firmware to the latest version. In my case, I first needed to install two intermediate updates (which I was able to do via a FAT-formatted flash drive in my tv's black usb port, while the tv is on an input with no signal). After the 2nd update, I was then able to get the remaining updates from within the tv's 'Check For Updates' menu option.

So now I once again have the 'Smartcast' input and can stream apps directly from the tv instead of having to use my iPhone. And the newer remote is working, too.

Although it still irks me that Vizio support couldn't provide this solution, as that would have saved me quite a bit of time (and my blood pressure, due to some pretty rude interactions I had with them!)

How can I update firmware? No wifi option and tried usb method. 2016 e60 SmartCast

Last edited: