Canon Announces 4K DSLR EOS-1D C That Will Cost $15K

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Wow.. 15K?
If Obama was here he'd say.. "Not bad". (Terrible TERRIBLE meme reference aside..)

I wish I had 15k.. I would swoop up one of these babies.
It BETTER autofocus while recording without any motor noise for that much money.

volks1470

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]It BETTER autofocus while recording without any motor noise for that much money.[/citation]
I doubt it. When filming you don't use autofocus (the audience this camera is aimed at). Chances are it's going to miss what you want it to focus on anyways, ruining a take.
Entry level and casual filming use autofocus.

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
[citation][nom]volks1470[/nom]I doubt it. When filming you don't use autofocus (the audience this camera is aimed at). Chances are it's going to miss what you want it to focus on anyways, ruining a take. Entry level and casual filming use autofocus.[/citation]
and thats a lens function anyway

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
too pricy to be honest ... professionals that will afford the price tag of this will prolly go a bit deeper and get a RED camera or equivalent .. than a DSLR that doesn`t really have a body for filming anyway. Still i don`t get it why is Canon going this way .. i mean this camera is clearly made for film and not foto so why do they still keep the DSLR body ?

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
This is way too expensive for young filmmakers price range. The reason people use DSLRs such as Mark II, Mark III or GH2 is that they are below 4000 USD. Granted that this thing does have Clean HDMI out supported by canon and ... still I wouldnt want to pay more than the price of canon 1DX. I mean think about it, for Canon to compete in vidoe, they need to make it cheaper than the competitions base model because competitions base model (RED SCARLET) delivers better features for videography.

Hell, you can even get RED SCARLET for 13K now and it delivers better features for video.

830hobbes

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Wow.. 15K?If Obama was here he'd say.. "Not bad". (Terrible TERRIBLE meme reference aside..)I wish I had 15k.. I would swoop up one of these babies.It BETTER autofocus while recording without any motor noise for that much money.[/citation]
If you had 15K, you'd spend it on this? To each his own, I guess... I'd be happy with a $1-2K DSLR and spend the rest on vacations or something.

G

this is very expensive......red scarlet is better than this in price & video features !!!!

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]This is way too expensive for young filmmakers price range. The reason people use DSLRs such as Mark II, Mark III or GH2 is that they are below 4000 USD. Granted that this thing does have Clean HDMI out supported by canon and ... still I wouldnt want to pay more than the price of canon 1DX. I mean think about it, for Canon to compete in vidoe, they need to make it cheaper than the competitions base model because competitions base model (RED SCARLET) delivers better features for videography.Hell, you can even get RED SCARLET for 13K now and it delivers better features for video.[/citation]

I don't think this is targeted at young filmmakers in the first place.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Wow.. 15K?If Obama was here he'd say.. "Not bad". (Terrible TERRIBLE meme reference aside..)I wish I had 15k.. I would swoop up one of these babies.It BETTER autofocus while recording without any motor noise for that much money.[/citation]

rage face lulz. reddit needs to make a "I drive a couple of those" of Romney just to keep up with the times. would totally be more appropriate here.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]I don't think this is targeted at young filmmakers in the first place.[/citation]

you may be right, but keep in mind that pro photographers can use the Canon 1DX that can shoot brilliant HD, Pro videographers for 10K price range can buy Canon's C300. Pro videographers who want 5K/4K footage, for $10K can use RED SCARLET or for $13K RED SCARLET with Canon Lens Mount. The film industry has used DSLRs for films most notably, in House, and even Act of Valor which were shot with Canon 5D Mark II (costs around $2200).

Which makes one wonder, what is the point of this camera?? it is too expensive for lower end movie makers and videographers. It lacks the feature for the price for the people who can afford $10K+ cameras.

For instance, with Canon C-300 which costs around $10K, you can record at different FPS ranges, there is an electronic Neutral Density filter, Better Audio and Sound systems, No rolling shutter problems since there is no shutter. Aliasing is less since the pixel density is greater since the sensor has only 1920x1080 pixels and it is not skipping line to capture 2 Megapixels out of a 21 Megapixel sensor (such as Mark II/Mark III or any other DSLRs)...
If you want more resolution, for around the same price as C-300, one can get the Red Scarlet.

Yet you spend so much more on this camera and you still going to have those problems as other DSLRs yet they are expensive. There is reason people USE DSLR for film making. It is because its cheap and compact (that was the reason it was used in Act of Valor and house). Otherwise no pro videographer whose not concerned with cost and size would use DSLR for film making.

Pro Photographers can use the Canon 1DX which when it comes to photography is almost identical to this camera on paper. I highly doubt Canon is throwing in new sensor since it is the same 18 Megapixel sensor as the 1DX since it just got released a few months ago. What im guessing is that this camera has more processing power to pull out 4K out of the sensor.

dreadlokz

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
sweeeet! Thats the way... 3~5 years or so and everyone will be using 4k... just like 3~5 years ago everyone was using 720p ;p can't wait for 3x4K across 3 monitors for hard gaming =D

Status
Not open for further replies.