Thinus123

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
Hi I am struggling to decide whether to buy a Nikon or Canon. Nikon's Light sensitivity Boost/Color depth/Dynamic range and low light performance is better than Canon, so if I understand right it will take better photo's in buildings and at night. But Canon is cheaper and the accesories are cheaper. The qestion I have is will my amateur eye see the difference between the two. Can Canon also take good low light photo's? We do a few weddings and family photos. Futhermore is the light sensitivity influenced by the camera or the lens. We are looking at a 18 - 135 mm lens which will help a lot with weddings not having to change the lens the whole time. I am totally confused and will appreciate any feedback.

Also can somoene please explain what HDR is, the Nikon has this but the Canon don't.

Lastly is there such a big difference betwee the entr level DSLR and pro DSLR? Exaple the Canon 60d and 600d, because the differences in performance does not justify the differencin price it seems to me. Can't I achieve almost just as much with the 600d than th 60d?

Thanks

amuffin

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
You'll have to learn about ISO, Shutter Speed, and Aperture.
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-exposure.htm

Light sensitivity is influenced by your surrounding light, your ISO settings, and how much light you're letting in to your lens (aperture).

HDR is high dynamic range, it takes 3 photos at 3 different exposures and combines them together. Canon does have HDR, but it is featured on the high end 5D Mark III!

Pretty much right now isn't the good time to buy a canon DSLR, they are going to announce the 70D, 7D Mark II, and maybe a rebel by the end of the month.

If you are starting out, go with a 50mm F1.8 and a mid ranged DSLR like the D5100, or T3i.

patrickwilson86

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013

freecanben

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013
yes,This year nikon has launched its top cameras. You can easily choose among them.
gg

Christiaan Lourens

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
Right now for entry level Nikon has more megapixels but Canon might turn that around soon and as you said Canon is cheaper (especially with glass) so in the long run it might be more profitable to go for Canon.

I feel that you should use both and decide for yourself (go to relatives.friends who have those camera's and try them out on their own)

Use Manual, Aperture priority