Canon T1i says SD card write protected

DaleMc

Estimable
Jan 24, 2015
Son has Canon T1i and no matter what SD card is put it, the camera reports the card is write protected. I can take the same card and put it in my newer Canon Rebel T3 and the card works fine. I can format the card in my T3, I can read and format the card in Windows 7. I can take any known good card and put it in the T1 and get the same write protect error. So, pretty certain it's not any of the SD cards. And, yes I know about the slide switch to lock an SD card, that's not the problem.

I'll tear a PC apart in a minute to fix it but leery of doing that with a camera. Any suggestions on a reputable place to send it for repair? He got it used in a trade for labor so he doesn't have anything invested in it. Or, would he be better off just getting a used camera body as he also got several good lenses in the deal.

Solution
Sounds like someone pawned off a defective camera on him, unless the size of card you use is not compatible with the camera. It is a few years old. Try an older and maybe slower speed card.