Cant boot after reformatting Acer Aspire One Notebook

chrisg4321

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013
Basically after reformatting my notebook, when trying to boot from a USB the screen flashes for a split second only to bring me to a black screen with a flashing cursor. Anything I can do to fix this or did I just fuck something up?

Not sure what else to do other then ask you guys.

Solution
Did you set USB as the first boot device in BIOS Setup?
Do you even know if your PC supports booting from USB? (in other words, is it listed in Boot Devices in BIOS Setup?)

chrisg4321

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013
I was trying to re install it via usb. Which obviously isn't working as trying to boot results in the black screen. I tried booting into Windows 95, 98 and Linux with the same result. I have a feeling that something went wrong when I reformatted it.

ratedk

Distinguished
What Phillip said. The black screen with a cursor blinking indicates that the computer is attempting to boot to a device that is not set up to be booted from. It could be trying to boot from the HDD (that has been wiped/reformatted?). Or your USB device is not bootable, in which case the computer will look for the next device in the lineup (see BIOS settings/boot options).

chrisg4321

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013
Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I boot by going to the boot menu with F12 and selecting the usb manually. And the same usb has worked fine before using unetbootin to put the iso on the usb.

And to Philip, it is listed as a bootable device.