Cant choose Nvidia GPU in Nvidia Contol Panel

StoreB

Commendable
Jan 27, 2017
Laptop: Lenovo Z50-70
Integrated GPU: Intel HD 4400
Dedicated GPU: GeForce 840M

My Lenovo laptop has been working for about 3 years now with a few minor errors along the way. But yesterday i came home from school (laptop worked perfectly at school) and was about to play a game of CS:GO. I usually get about 140-160 fps, but now I got about 20-30 fps. I checked the Nvidia Control Panel to see what GPU my computer was using, and although it was set to use GeForce 840M it still uses Intel IGPU...

sMwzXCd.png

What I've tried so far:

NVIDIA Control Panel:
-Set the global preferred GPU to High Performance NVIDIA GPU
-Set the power management to High Performance

Intel Graphics Control Panel:
-Set 3d to Performance
-Set power management to High Performance

Windows Control Panel:

Software Installation:
-Installed Lenovo outdated Intel and NVIDIA drivers
-Uninstalled and Reinstalled Current Versions Intel and NVIDIA Graphics Software

BIOS:
-Found only the option to choose between Integrated and Integrated+Dedicated

I've done everything I know and have found on forums...
Is there anything else I could do?

Regards,
StoreB

aquielisunari

Distinguished

If you go to your device manager which GPU(s) do you see? If you see the 860m that's good. Do you see the Intel GPU? Right click and click on disable.

StoreB

Commendable
Jan 27, 2017
If you go to your device manager which GPU(s) do you see? If you see the 860m that's good. Do you see the Intel GPU? Right click and click on disable. [/quotemsg]

I see both GPUs, but I have read that if i disable the Intel GPU my computer will use the processor to do the graphics, and then I'll have to reboot my computer in safe mode, not sure if want to do that if im not 100% sure it wont be a pain to go back to default

aquielisunari

Distinguished

FIRST double click on the 860m and make sure it is working properly without conflicts and it is enabled.

I see both GPUs, but I have read that if i disable the Intel GPU my computer will use the processor to do the graphics, and then I'll have to reboot my computer in safe mode, not sure if want to do that if im not 100% sure it wont be a pain to go back to default[/quotemsg]

What you are suggesting is impossible. The CPU is NOT a GFX processor so it doesn't know how. The IGPU being disabled allows the 860m which is enabled to be the only active GPU. Not to be flippant but you did come here with a question. I am attempting to answer your question. You are correct in questioning my answer because assuming everything you read is true is of course wrong. I also(again I am not trying to be rude or anything else) have more than a few badges under my belt. So I know more than some but still a lot less than most. What you are suggesting is saying that the carpenters are going to be the painters. Not going to happens. I can disable my 970 via my Device manager. It then reverts to my CPU's integrated GPU(IGPU). I then enable it again. It takes all of 5 seconds.
Please show me where you read that.

StoreB

Commendable
Jan 27, 2017

What you are suggesting is impossible. The CPU is NOT a GFX processor so it doesn't know how. The IGPU being disabled allows the 860m which is enabled to be the only active GPU. Not to be flippant but you did come here with a question. I am attempting to answer your question. You are correct in questioning my answer because assuming everything you read is true is of course wrong. I also(again I am not trying to be rude or anything else) have more than a few badges under my belt. So I know more than some but still a lot less than most. What you are suggesting is saying that the carpenters are going to be the painters. Not going to happens. I can disable my 970 via my Device manager. It then reverts to my CPU's integrated GPU(IGPU). I then enable it again. It takes all of 5 seconds.
Please show me where you read that. [/quotemsg]

I might have misspelled something or described something wrong, and i apologize, i'm not a computer wiz. But if you say that will might help, i'll try it right away.
I did what you told me, but it seems that it still doesnt use the Nvidia 800M. When I try to open Nvidia Control Panel a message pops up saying that I am using a monitor which ain't connected to a NVIDIA GPU.
When I have the Intel IGPU disabled and I look at what GPU my screen is using, it tells me that im using: Microsoft Basic Display Driver

aquielisunari

Distinguished

I might have misspelled something or described something wrong, and i apologize, i'm not a computer wiz. But if you say that will might help, i'll try it right away.
I did what you told me, but it seems that it still doesnt use the Nvidia 800M. When I try to open Nvidia Control Panel a message pops up saying that I am using a monitor which ain't connected to a NVIDIA GPU.
When I have the Intel IGPU disabled and I look at what GPU my screen is using, it tells me that im using: Microsoft Basic Display Driver[/quotemsg]

Sorry. I said 860. The original post said 840. Now you said 800. :))

Anyways, I'd download http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience/download

See if it can get things in order.

Simplest fix may be to download the latest driver http://www.geforce.com/drivers "Automatic"

You can also go to your laptop's website. It will have a driver list. Select the appropriate driver(Nvidia VGA Driver) . http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/Lenovo-Z-Series-laptops/Lenovo-Z50-70?tabName=Downloads&linkTrack=Mast:SubNav:Support:Drivers%20and%20Softwarehttp://

Sorry about the mess up there. The link wasn't posting right.

StoreB

Commendable
Jan 27, 2017

Sorry. I said 860. The original post said 840. Now you said 800. :))

Anyways, I'd download http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience/download

See if it can get things in order.

Simplest fix may be to download the latest driver http://www.geforce.com/drivers "Automatic"

You can also go to your laptop's website. It will have a driver list. Select the appropriate driver(Nvidia VGA Driver) . http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/Lenovo-Z-Series-laptops/Lenovo-Z50-70?tabName=Downloads&linkTrack=Mast:SubNav:Support:Drivers%20and%20Softwarehttp://

Sorry about the mess up there. The link wasn't posting right. [/quotemsg]

I've now downloaded GeForce Experience, updated driver and downloaded the VGA driver.
But it doesn't seem to make much difference.
Do you think it might be a hardware problem?

And don't worry about the mess with the link, as you might notice I am new to this forum, and i've made this post a mess already!

StoreB

Commendable
Jan 27, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from StoreB : "Laptop uses IGPU instead of Nvidia GPU"

Laptop: Lenovo Z50-70
Integrated GPU: Intel HD 4400
Dedicated GPU: GeForce 840M

My Lenovo laptop has been working for about 3 years now with a few minor errors along the way. But yesterday i came home from school (laptop worked perfectly at school) and was about to play a game of CS:GO. I usually get about 140-160 fps, but now I got about 20-30 fps. I checked the Nvidia Control Panel to see what GPU my computer was using, and although it was set to use GeForce 840M it still uses Intel IGPU...

sMwzXCd.png

What I've tried so far:

NVIDIA Control Panel:
-Set the global preferred GPU to High Performance NVIDIA GPU
-Set the power management to High Performance

Intel Graphics Control Panel:
-Set 3d to Performance
- Deactivated Intel IGPU

Windows Control Panel:

Software Installation:
-Installed Lenovo outdated Intel and NVIDIA drivers
-Uninstalled and Reinstalled Current Versions Intel and NVIDIA Graphics Software

BIOS:
-Found only the option to choose between Integrated and Integrated+Dedicated

I've done everything I know and have found on forums...
Is there anything else I could do?

Regards,
StoreB