Can't Get sound on my TV when connected to my laptop with HDMI cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cara_M

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013
I have my laptop (HP) connected to my Sony TV with an HDMI cable.

It used to work perfectly. I still get the picture, but no sound.

I tested the HDMI cable, and it's good. I tested the computer and hooked it up to my other (Samsung) TV with the same HDMI cable, and both picture and sound worked perfectly.

Then, I tested my Sony TV by hooking up my tablet to it and picture and sound worked perfectly.

Then I went back to connecting my HP laptop to the Sony TV and tested the sound in the control panel, and the sound from my computer came out of the Sony TV perfectly. So, why can't I get sound on the same TV when I try to watch a video from the laptop?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
I thought you had already tried setting your default audio to the Sony TV. Nevertheless, you got it sorted out.

The thing you want now is not possible, at least as far as i know. I don't see the reason for it. Two devices playing the same sound...it will echo.

Cara_M

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013
This is what made me think the fault is with the Sony TV, but it works perfectly when I hook up my tablet to it. I have picture and sound on the TV. My conclusion is that all my equipment works, but I have a wrong setting somewhere between the HP laptop and the Sony TV

MiDNiGHTsoul

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
Have you checked at the Sound settings of the laptop the HDMI as default device? Have you checked your TV's audio settings if HDMI isnt selected as the audio source?

Maybe a temporary fix would be to let you TV open, your laptop connected and restart the laptop. Then try opening only the movie you would like to watch.

Cara_M

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013
I've read some of the other threads on the same subject and have restarted the laptop with TV on and HDMI cable plugged in, but still no sound. As I am typing this, I can see this screen on my TV, so we are connected properly.
I have gone to my control panel several times, selected 'Hardware and Sound', and looked around, but I can't find anything in there that allows me to select HDMI. However, my laptop shows the Sony TV in my audio devices. I made sure it is 'enabled'.

MiDNiGHTsoul

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
Go to hardware and sound on your control panel and click on the sound. Then on the playback tab in the window that opens press right click and chech the show disabled divices and the disconnected and see if anything show up in the list.

You havent tell me yet if you went to your TV settings and try looking at its audio settings. If not, look there too.

Cara_M

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013
I went to control panel, then sounds. The window that opens shows two icons: The first one is my default system audio, the other shows the Sony TV. This is in the 'Playback' tab. The Sony TV has a little round green icon next to it with a telephone in the middle.
When I right click in the Playback window to see disabled devices, nothing shows up. I believe the green icon next to the Sony TV is the indication that it is enabled.
When I right click on the Sony TV, it shows 'Properties'. When I open Properties, I can see the words 'HDMI Digital Jack'.
It also says: "This device is working properly'.
With the Sony TV highlighted, I clicked on 'Configure'. This allowed me to test the speakers on my Sony TV and the sound is loud and clear from the laptop to the TV when I do the test.

Cara_M

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013
You asked me about the settings on my Sony TV. I can't find much that can be manipulated. You pick your 'Input' which is HDMI. Then you pick speakers which are TV speakers. I used t have a theatre system with surround sound, but that no longer works, so 'TV speakers' is the only thing I can pick.
When I tested the TV earlier, I plugged my tablet into it which is HDMI capable and immediately the picture and sound came out of the TV without me having to change any settings.

MiDNiGHTsoul

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
Last shot. Try going to Device manager and see if you find anything sound related. If not go to your ATI control panel/ Nvidia control panel, which ever you use and look for the HDMI options.

Also look if your laptop is projecting on maximum resolution on your tv.If yes change the resolution on one random and then set it back at maximum.

If nothing works, i give up. Im getting too frustrated. Maybe more than you :p

Cara_M

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013
Ok, another test...so now I changed my default Audio in the control panel of my laptop to 'Sony TV', and I finally was able to watch a video on my TV with picture plus audio. Down side is now there is no sound from my laptop. So now I'll have to figure out how to get sound from both the laptop and the TV at the same time.

MiDNiGHTsoul

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
I thought you had already tried setting your default audio to the Sony TV. Nevertheless, you got it sorted out.

The thing you want now is not possible, at least as far as i know. I don't see the reason for it. Two devices playing the same sound...it will echo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution

Cara_M

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013
One more comment.... When I plugged the laptop into the other TV, the sound immediately came out of the TV without having to change any settings. Same with the tablet.
And in the past, even on this Sony TV I didn't have to tinker with any settings. All I had to do is plug the HDMI cable in.
This is the first time I ever had to change the default just to use this TV. Something is still not working right, but at least I have a way to temporarily fix it. Thanks again

Dwgallimore

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
I am having the same problem but I have already set my tv to the default device. I've read the whole conversation and tried everything. But I get no sound what so ever from my tv. This is getting very aggravating. Please help.

Melita

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014

I also had the same problem as you and Cara. my laptop is HP, I have a Samsung TV that works perfectly well with HDMI both audio and picture. Once I hook to Sony sound comes out from the laptop regardless of how many times I choose TV speakers and enable them. So, my solution, like Cara's was that every time I hook my HP to Sony, I go to sound mixer and disable my laptop speakers. Automatically the Sony speakers start working afterwards. Now, to listen to your laptop speakers again, all you have to do is again go to volume mixer icon, choose laptop speakers and allow it to configure again. The problem will solve itself and show u a "fixed" message when it is done. The downside is every time I rehook it to Sony I have to disable the laptop speakers again, then reinstall them once I am done. Hope that helps.

karyssima

Estimable
Mar 3, 2014
I have the exact same problem as Cara, which just started today. Everything was working perfectly yesterday. All I had to do was plug in my hdmi cable, set my tv to hdmi & I could get video & audio (didn't have to change any settings to get audio). Now today, suddenly, I've got no audio. I didn't make any changes or do anything different b/w last night and today, yet the audio stopped working. I did e/thing Cara did, except her "fix" didn't work for me (ie. changing the default audio to tv in the control panel of my laptop). Even when I "tested" the speakers, the sound came out of the tv, just like it did for Cara. So some setting somewhere got changed w/o my knowledge, I just can't figure out what it is. Ugh. My laptop is a Lenovo ideapad & I have a Vizio smart hdtv if that makes a difference. Can ANYBODY help those of us still having this problem? Please. Thank you

BasV

Estimable
Mar 10, 2014
Had the same issue, and everywhere I read to set the default audio to HDMI and it should work... however, with me, it didn't. Once, there wasn't a HDMI device listed to set the default to, another time the button was grey and so on.

What DID work for me was this:
- connect pc to tv with HDMI, turn both on (obviously)
- Open Control Panel -> Device Manager
- Click the "sound controls" triangle to drop down your devices
- I had 2 there, one "ATI something" and another "Realtek..."
- Disable BOTH (click yes to the warning that they will no longer work (really, Sherlock?))
- Re-enable both
- Now if you click the speaker Symbol in the task bar on the bottom right, it should no longer display the speaker, but a sort of TV-icon... And your sound should come from the TV rather than the pc.

GL

milan 7

Estimable
May 3, 2014
I followed all the advice in the forum but still no audio. Finally I went to speaker properties for the HDMI & chose "ADVANCED" In here i was set to CD Quality. I scrolled down to each setting & "apply" to each one . Finally the last one "24 bit Studio Quality" click "apply" "OK" & TV audio came on instantly. I know nothing about computers, but it worked for me

Status
Not open for further replies.