Can't increase or decrease screen brightness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laban_18

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Hi, I have a HP pavilion dv6 3010us. I could increase or decrease my screen brightness but now i cant. I also recently updated my graphics card. Could that be the problem?

try booting into safe mode f8 and see if the f key works and your screen gets brighter. if it does not...then it sounds like the back light or the inverter is going.
video drivers dont control most time the back light on a lcd screen.

XeroemoXmageX

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

Hi Laban,

Solution is as follows.

Click START, right click on COMPUTER, and select MANAGE.

Under Device Manager, select MONITOR, and right click on PnP Monitor. Uninstall and delete the drivers.

At the top of the device manager, click the button that scans for hardware changes.

Problem Solved

Regards

Laban_18

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

Thanks. I'll try it out

Mings

Estimable
Feb 26, 2014
Solution is as follows.

Click START, right click on COMPUTER, and select MANAGE.

Under Device Manager, select MONITOR, and right click on PnP Monitor. Uninstall and delete the drivers.

At the top of the device manager, click the button that scans for hardware changes.

Problem Solved

Regards

This worked for me and im using a dell xps so i would try this if you are having problems. Thank you to you XeroemoXmageX

Mohammed Motiwala

Estimable
Dec 16, 2014

I have a HP Pavillion 15-n259tx and this procedure did not help me.
Also, i cannot use the function keys to change brightness
but the brightness bar in power options lets me change the brightness. just that i have to shut the lid and reopen the lid(the screen should swithoff/refresh for it to work)

AZ Putra

Estimable
Dec 10, 2014
i have a solution... restart your laptop... just restart it.. dont shutdown... it will work... but if you shutdown with Fast Start enable... the second attempt will not let you change the brightness...

Dr Jayesh Vira

Estimable
Jan 9, 2015
I faced the same problem.... Uninstalled the PnP driver as you suggested. But, my windows 8.1 device manager did not show an option to check for recent changes to hardware. Nonetheless, I restarted my laptop after uninstalling the PnP from monitor and on rebooting, the functionality was restored.

Thank you.

Kresimir Petrovich

Estimable
Jan 23, 2015

Hi, thanks, it helped on my HP650 :)

subbu royal

Estimable
Jan 31, 2015

from your solution i increased my brightness but now its not decreasing why? brightness increase or decrease not working on my asus x550L laptop

Harry71

Estimable
Feb 1, 2015

Hi, there is an simple solution for this. i wasted my too much to find out but could not find the problem

At last found it------Here is the instructions
1) go to Device Manager
2) Look for monitors options
3) right click on PNP monitor
4) Click on update driver
5) Select BROWSE my computer option
6) Select LET ME PICK FROM LIST
7) you will two kind of drivers (Generic and PNP)
8) please select Generic
9) next, and you all good to go

if you do not have Generic driver then might be you need to download

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
nagasiva_33 Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 2
A Laptop Tech Support 2
E Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 5
M Laptop Tech Support 1