Can't install Windows 10 to MSI X370 MB, screen freezes at the Windows logo.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pvgoplayer

Prominent
Mar 27, 2017
I just built a new PC using the MSI XPower X370 Titanium MB. Using both a purchased USB stick with Windows 10, and an USB created using the MS MediaCreationTool, the PC boot up and display the Windows logo, and then freezes. The BIOS menu shows the USB stick correctly yet installation does not proceed. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Solution
Hi pvgoplayer

Did you install windows through an internal or external DVD unit?

I have the same problem than you, I have to buy a DVD unit and I prefer an external one, but since it goes through an USB port I am afraid I might have the same problem

Cebela

Prominent
May 16, 2017
Had the same problem with X370 XPower Gaming Titanium (bios 7A31v16).

The solution was not to use quick boot menu (F11), but simply go to UEFI Bios and manually set the boot sequence to USB.
Save&Reset and it works. Just remember to set boot priority back to your primary drive when finished.

For me it works like a charm, installed Windows, used Ubuntu LiveUSB, some other versions of Linux for disk tools...

So to me it looks like the only problem is the quick boot menu. MSI fix it, it is quite embarrassing that a simple functionality like this is not working (on a 300$ MB mind you :heink: ), especially when you have in mind that it is at least a 15 year old tool that I have never even heard about not working :)

Hope it works for you too.

Status
Not open for further replies.