Can't read DVD produced by Roxio

dovepub

Prominent
Apr 26, 2017
We have gotten our recording all the way through the Roxio Easy VHS to DVD3 process but we can't get the file to play on any device other than the original computer. All the DVDs we burn using Roxio itself or other DVD burners won't play in any DVD player (we've tried 3) nor will it play on a computer. When we reinsert the DVD to a computer the screen comes up wanting to format the DVD. We are using a Windows 10 laptop. These are old videos I'd really like to save before it's too late. Any suggestions?

Solution
Snow for 4 days – where are you lol???

Ok … I’m assuming your files can fit on a single-sided blank dvd. Thinking about blank DVDs … there are 2 main flavours … DVD-R and DVD+R. By far … the most compatible is DVD-R. Please use this as your blank media.

Ok – let’s burn one using ImgBurn – hopefully it will not turn out to be a coaster lol.

1/ go to your C:\Temp\DVD_DISC. This is where your VIDEO_TS folder is … yes? Are there any other files here? In particular, is there also a folder called AUDIO_TS? If not, can you make a new folder and name it AUDIO_TS. It is important to have this folder in the same folder as the VIDEO_TS folder even though it’s just an empty folder.

2/ Open ImgBurn and select “Write files/folders to disc”...

dovepub

Prominent
Apr 26, 2017
Thanks for taking an interest. I really appreciate it.
We tried WinX DVD Author, Wondershare DVD Creator, and ImgBurn as well as the burner included with Roxio Easy VHS to DVD3

There are 2 VIDEO_TS folders. One is empty and the other has several VOB, IFO, and BUP files.
Names like VTS_01_0.BUP,
VTS_01_0 that is labeled as an IFO file
VTS_01_1, VTS_01_2, and VTS_01_3 that are all labeled VOB files

dovepub

Prominent
Apr 26, 2017
Yes, 2. The first time we tried this process 4/21 it created a VIDEO_TS folder in C:\Temp\DVD_DISC. That contains the VOB, IOF, and BUP files I mentioned. The second time we worked on this project 4/26 it created a different folder in C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Temp. That folder is empty. We recorded the same 2 videos in both sittings.

The first time round we recorded the videos and saved the files to burn to DVD later. We tried several burner methods and the various burner programs -- all failed. During the second sitting we recorded the videos and selected to burn the DVD as soon as it finished recording in Roxio Easy...We tried that several times also and eventually got one that finished with a dialog box that said something like "Burn Successful". We were thrilled! But that disc didn't play in any device either.

robert600

Distinguished
Ok .... let's work with the VIDEO_TS folder that has files in it and check to see that those files are ok. I'm assuming you use a windows based pc.

Do you happen to have VLC media player? If not, could you download and install it (it is freeware). Open it up and under the 'Media' tab ... select 'Open Folder'. It'll open a window where you can navigate to the VIDEO_TS FOLDER. Highlight the folder by right clicking on it once and then hit the 'Select Folder' button at the bottom of the window. VLC should play your video perfectly from start to finish (both video and audio). Can you confirm that this working? Once we know that the folder is ok we can move on to the making of a dvd that a stand alone dvd player can use.

dovepub

Prominent
Apr 26, 2017
Sorry we got stuck in the snow storm for 4 days.

Yes, both videos play fine on the same computer they were recorded on. They play using VLC media Player as well as Windows Media Player.

robert600

Distinguished
Snow for 4 days – where are you lol???

Ok … I’m assuming your files can fit on a single-sided blank dvd. Thinking about blank DVDs … there are 2 main flavours … DVD-R and DVD+R. By far … the most compatible is DVD-R. Please use this as your blank media.

Ok – let’s burn one using ImgBurn – hopefully it will not turn out to be a coaster lol.

1/ go to your C:\Temp\DVD_DISC. This is where your VIDEO_TS folder is … yes? Are there any other files here? In particular, is there also a folder called AUDIO_TS? If not, can you make a new folder and name it AUDIO_TS. It is important to have this folder in the same folder as the VIDEO_TS folder even though it’s just an empty folder.

2/ Open ImgBurn and select “Write files/folders to disc”. This will open a new window and on the top right will be a source input box. Just to the right of this box is a set of icons … click on the 3rd one down …if you hover the mouse over it it will say “browse for a folder”. Navigate to C:\Temp\DVD_DISC … highlight the VIDEO_TS by right clicking once on it and then hit the select folder button at the bottom of the window. This should add C:\Temp\DVD_DISC\VIDEO_TS to the input box. Click the “browse for a folder” icon again and since the navigator has a memory you should be in the C:\Temp\DVD_DISC folder. Highlight AUDIO_TS and select it. Now the source box should have both C:\Temp\DVD_DISC\VIDEO_TS and C:\Temp\DVD_DISC\AUDIO_TS in it . If it doesn’t … don’t go any further.

3/ Beneath the Source box is “Destination” – ensure your dvd burner is selected

4/above the Source box - there is an output button – click it and be sure it has ‘device” selected.

5/ on the right half of the window there are five labels … make sure you are in the information tab and then click the calculator icon near the bottom … read the Min. Req. Media: hopefully it will say DVD+-R/RW and the “Total File Size” will be less than 4,330,000,000 bytes. If it is larger …. Don’t go any further.

6/select the “Device” tab and change the “Write Speed” to 1x or 2x.

7/select the “Options” tab and under “image Options”, select “data type” to be MODE1/2048, and select “File System” to be ISO9660 + UDF and “UDF Revision to be 1.02.

8/ select “Labels” tab and call the disc whatever seems reasonable. If you check the ‘synchronised editing box then whatever you enter in the ISO9660 box will magically appear in the UDF box.

9/ put a blank dvd in the burner and once imgburn loads it …. Hit the large folder > disc burn icon at the bottom left of window. I usually uncheck the ‘verify’ button simply because it takes a while and I’ve never had any problems with the burn.

10/ Hopefully the resulting disc will play in a stand-alone dvd player. Let me know!

Solution