Solved! Can't run Direct 9 games, D3DX9_40.DLL is missing, I've done multiple installer, I've done the Direct X installer and failed

Dec 31, 2018
I wanted to play Gmod, after getting a new laptop. D3DX9_40.DLL is missing it says. I've downloaded it and put it in the files and it says it's still missing. I've done the installer in the June 2010 file and it says Installation failed. I did another Direct X Updater and that also failed. I did a Direct 9 installer that I believe would of fixed it if it did not fail installation. I've been looking for hours and I can't fix this. I am not good with this, and don't wanna break my new laptop that was a gift after my old one broke. It is Windows 10, and I really do not want to install a older Windows/ restall Windows 10. Help.

Feb 28, 2018
Disable all anti virus including windows defender then run game on windows XP compatibility mode
Copy paste the missing files MSVCP## / MSVCR## / D3DX9_## to installation folder or reinstall the game

boju

Distinguished
Oh i see, thought it would do it straight away. Yea just create a new folder on desktop and extract it to there. Once done open that folder and run dxsetup.exe

Hope it works.

After setup is complete that folder you created can be deleted

boju

Distinguished

Fair enough. Pretend VLC player icon this video clicks on is DXSetup. Right clicking as appose to double left clicking will give you other options.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNVdaJXYCbA"][/video]

Dec 31, 2018

Even after running as administrator, it still said Installation Failed after.