Can't separate Headphone and speaker audio

Silverks

Estimable
May 6, 2015
Hi,

Just bought a new Acer E15 (E5-571G). It works great, but in my daily life, I have to use headphones a lot (I don't use laptop speakers at all).
But no matter how hard I try, sound is coming both from speakers and the headphones.

I have the latest Realtek HD audio drivers. Realtek recognizes when a device is plugged in the audio jack, but still, under 'playback' devices, there is only one option - Speakers.

Running Windows 10, Build 10162. The headphones work great on another laptop with the same build.

This is my last resort, Please help! I don't want to void the warranty, by manually opening and disabling the laptop speakers.

Solution
in sound properties does right clicking and showing disabled or disconnected devices show your headphones when you plug them in? have you tried using older realtek hd audio drivers? both headphones and internal speakers should be their own devices not combined.

perhaps you plugged it into the wrong jack and are having the same issue noted by these people? http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-PC-Sound-and-Audio/Headphones-plugged-in-but-speakers-are-still-playing-sound/td-p/728983 when it detects it as a communication device instead of headphones..

a working but last ditch solution would be to use a cheap usb stick soundcard which should get detected as its own device and bypasses internal audio completely.
in sound properties does right clicking and showing disabled or disconnected devices show your headphones when you plug them in? have you tried using older realtek hd audio drivers? both headphones and internal speakers should be their own devices not combined.

perhaps you plugged it into the wrong jack and are having the same issue noted by these people? http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-PC-Sound-and-Audio/Headphones-plugged-in-but-speakers-are-still-playing-sound/td-p/728983 when it detects it as a communication device instead of headphones..

a working but last ditch solution would be to use a cheap usb stick soundcard which should get detected as its own device and bypasses internal audio completely.

Solution

Silverks

Estimable
May 6, 2015

Thanks for the suggestions. It seems that the official Acer website had older drivers. After downloading the latest from Realtek, the problem solved itself.
Still much appreciated!