Can't update apps on sd card

Status
Not open for further replies.

gphbass

Estimable
Jan 12, 2016
Until last week I had no problem updating apps on my sd card on my galaxy s5. Now no app on the sd card will update unless I move it back to internal storage. Once it is updated, I am able to move it back to the sad card with no problems except it won't update. As far as I can tell, there have been no system updates to my phone. Has something changed with the Google App Store or is there another problem?

Solution
It may actually be as simple as the app creators themselves not allowing for updates that way. Why they would, I am not sure, but stranger things have happened. If the app creator is no longer allowing it to be installed that way, then there is really nothing you can do.

It is also possible that your SD card, while having enough space to hold the apps, does not have enough space (as far as the updating software is concerned) to do the update while they are on the card. To see if this is why, you could try moving a few apps to the phone, restarting the phone, and then try updating the ones that are still on the SD card. If space was the problem, it should allow it now.

It may actually be as simple as the app creators themselves not allowing for updates that way. Why they would, I am not sure, but stranger things have happened. If the app creator is no longer allowing it to be installed that way, then there is really nothing you can do.

It is also possible that your SD card, while having enough space to hold the apps, does not have enough space (as far as the updating software is concerned) to do the update while they are on the card. To see if this is why, you could try moving a few apps to the phone, restarting the phone, and then try updating the ones that are still on the SD card. If space was the problem, it should allow it now.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.