Capturing 8mm camcorder video with Power Director 14

redrobbins

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017
Has anyone had success with capturing 8mm camcorder video and converting it do digital format using an inexpensive video capture device and Power Director software? I recently purchased Diamond Multimedia's VC500 One-Touch video capture device and connected my Sony CCD-TR940 camcorder to my PC with the capture device, an S-video cable and a USB connection. I'm trying to use Power Director 14 to capture the video and audio from the 8mm tapes, but am not having any success. Any suggestions on how to get the capture device and Power Director to communicate with each other?

Solution
If you are only using an S-Video cable from the camcorder to the capture device then you will only get a video signal and no audio as the S-Video cable only carries the video signal and no audio signal. You will need an A/V cable and use the Red and White connections for audio.

Link to TR940 manual: https://docs.sony.com/release//CCDTR940.pdf

USAFRet

Illustrious

What software did the capture device come with?

I used to do this several years ago, without major issues.

redrobbins

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017
The capture device came with a 2011 vintage Diamond Multimedia software CD. The online reviews for the company's VC500 capture device said that the software that accompanies it doesn't work very well, and recommended using a third-party video editing software package, which is the route that I'm trying to use.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Try the included software.
If it sucks, it sucks. But online reviews are often useless.