Car Stereo "Popping"

filipino_guy

Estimable
Jan 16, 2015
So I'm a noob when it comes to sound, I have an Alpine bass engine stereo along with alpine speakers in my car, upon certain bass notes, the speakers stop playing my music and emit a popping sound, then after the bass note or notes, it goes back to normal and plays whatever I'm playing. Is something wrong here or am I just pushing the speakers beyond their capability?

Solution
Hello... Google a X-section of a Speaker. Well they could be getting mechanically stuck... Around on the Voice coil, if the shape of the Speaker starts to Distort it's shape... there is a Tight small air gap between the voice coil windings and magnet.

filipino_guy

Estimable
Jan 16, 2015

That sounds like what's happening. It only does it with low notes. But what causes the pop when it hits the limit?

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... Google a X-section of a Speaker. Well they could be getting mechanically stuck... Around on the Voice coil, if the shape of the Speaker starts to Distort it's shape... there is a Tight small air gap between the voice coil windings and magnet.

Solution
When the speaker cone moves as far forward as it can it makes a pop. This will damage the speaker if it hasn't already done so. If you have bass EQ turned up set it flatter. You can also reduce the amount of total bass by adjusting the input level of the bass amp. Or play it lower.
Or get woofers with longer throw (total forward & backwards motion the cone is capable or traveling) and more power handling.

filipino_guy

Estimable
Jan 16, 2015

Thanks for the explination!