Carmack: Mobile Tech Surpassing Console in 2yrs

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]I'm afraid phones will not catch up with consoles or PCs just because of a simple but ignored fact: batteries. Unless something revolutionary comes along to power up the foreseen phones, they will have a charge duration of about 30 mins tops. And playing with them plugged in a charger just negates the very purpose of them: mobility gaming devices. Everyone is blabbering about ARM architecture and processing power, but nobody is saying where that power will come from.[/citation]A high-end phone can do more than original Xbox was capable of for hours. It's only a few years old than the Xbox 360. Obviously batteries and power matter, but better architecture and shrinking of circuits makes power use much more efficient. You can do on 10W now what took 100W 6 years ago.

Besides that, I think you're missing the possibility that a phone can be much more than a phone. Why can't your phone manage and use your home and cloud media? Why can't it stream content through HDMI to an older TV or wirelessly to a new one? If you're doing some of these options, it may be very practical to take it with you to a friend's house to use your content there. If you could sync Bluetooth controllers to it and plug it into a power outlet then play COD Black Ops 2 or whatever's out 2 years from now--why not? So what if it doesn't look as good as PC or Xbox 720. If you can play COD on your phone anywhere, it's an awesome portable console!

I personally think there may be a solid future in phones as pocket portable consoles. Even if they only get 1 hour of gaming time before you plug them in--you can still play in your car in a parking lot or bring it to a LAN party and plug it into an extra monitor or TV. The lines between phones and laptops will continue to merge.

At the very least, phones will make Internet on your TV much better if they can be used as touchpads.

Status
Not open for further replies.