Carmack Not Impressed With Next-Gen Console Hardware

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
i could care less about virtual reality....i want eye candy...that's why most of us gamers purchase powerful graphic cards...we love eye candy :)

bemused_fred

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]What would make games more fun to play is the availability of many different, inexpensive and powerful game engines, that would allow small developers to make great games and not live and die by the sales numbers.[/citation]

Frankly, lower graphics are better in those situations. No matter how efficient your engine is, creating a large, HD, 3d game requires a lot of effort from highly skilled artists and a lot of money.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]bemused_fred[/nom]Frankly, lower graphics are better in those situations. No matter how efficient your engine is, creating a large, HD, 3d game requires a lot of effort from highly skilled artists and a lot of money.[/citation]

Game engines are not just about graphics, they're about easing the burden on the programmers, so you need only a few. Some game engines are almost as easy to use as the Unreal Editor for example.
A lot of game art can be purchased and imported as well, allowing a small core team to do the design/story and integrate everything. Of course that will still take a lot of people a lot of time, but if the difference is they have to sell for example 100K instead of a million copies. That frees them up from a lot of things like kowtowing to publishers or having to excessively dumb down games for more mass appeal.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
It's not just about graphics, it's AI & physics and general gameplay mechanics also that can benefit from next gen consoles. It's a pity that "the great" Carmack can't think of any uses for some extra power. IMO just the fact that you wouldn't have to spend that much resources on optimizing stuff makes next gen worth it.

mpioca

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
[citation][nom]Interocitor[/nom]"Nintendo went and brought motion into the gaming sphere and while only having a tenth of the processing power, was able to outsell all of them in all of these ways."The fact that it was a lot cheaper might have been more important. But honestly this guy is shilling his tech by trash talking. Lots of hot air.[/citation]

Totally agree. And not only could Nintendo outsell the competition because of the lower price point but because the target audience was the casual gamers. His words are pure propaganda.

doorspawn

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]DroKing[/nom]The guy who shafted PC gaming. Whatever you spews are completely full of shit.[/citation]
I'm actually quite surprised at the hate here. This guy was the god of PC gaming in the 90s, he pioneered tons of graphics techniques that are part of pretty much every game you play. He releases the full source of his games after a few years. He has built many games that were loved by the gaming community. He has helped tell the video card makers know what they need to prioritize.

In short, right now your games are faster and prettier due to Carmack.

Is this negativity all from young people that only know about a couple of the most recent of Carmack's years and have no idea what he has actually achieved?

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
[citation][nom]doorspawn[/nom]I'm actually quite surprised at the hate here. This guy was the god of PC gaming in the 90s, he pioneered tons of graphics techniques that are part of pretty much every game you play. He releases the full source of his games after a few years. He has built many games that were loved by the gaming community. He has helped tell the video card makers know what they need to prioritize.In short, right now your games are faster and prettier due to Carmack.Is this negativity all from young people that only know about a couple of the most recent of Carmack's years and have no idea what he has actually achieved?[/citation]

Calling me young? I been around that time and I respected him for that but that was in PAST. You cannot overlook his recent shenanigans.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]doorspawn[/nom]I'm actually quite surprised at the hate here. This guy was the god of PC gaming in the 90s, he pioneered tons of graphics techniques that are part of pretty much every game you play. He releases the full source of his games after a few years. He has built many games that were loved by the gaming community. He has helped tell the video card makers know what they need to prioritize.In short, right now your games are faster and prettier due to Carmack.Is this negativity all from young people that only know about a couple of the most recent of Carmack's years and have no idea what he has actually achieved?[/citation]

it appears so. the audience here don't know much about game development just completely ignorant with the attention span of a 4 year old.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Virtual reality is the future of gaming, not prettier graphics says John Carmack.

And I should care about what YOU think is the future of gaming because...? I don't want "virtual reality", I really don't. I LIKE being detached from the game.

[citation][nom]DroKing[/nom]Calling me young? I been around that time and I respected him for that but that was in PAST. You cannot overlook his recent shenanigans.[/citation]

Precisely. I don't care that he was "a god of gaming" in the 90s, that was then - this is now. Tell me guys, what did Carmack work on recently that deserves my attention as a gamer?

All that said, besides the graphics, they seriously need to come up with better ideas for games. Military shooter crap got boring, BF3 or not, it's all the same boring BS. Haven't seen a worthy RTS since Dawn of War 1 (but that's just me, I guess, I have very high demands from an RTS). More or less innovative and entertaining series get overtaken and stomped into dust by EA. I'm literally at the point where I have money for a graphics card upgrade and don't care, because for what? Consoles or PC, originality is what really suffers nowadays.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I'm not entirely sure about this, but wouldn't an LED screen 1 inch(or less) from your eyeballs be bad for you? anyway, the thing looks lik a cool idea. Definitely possible that it can be the future of gaming as far as the console cycle after this next one. But, I'm a pc guy, and I really love using my mouse for FPS games. I would not enjoy games using a controller as is most definitely needed to unlock the full potential of this headset.

I imagine that after an hour using this headset your eyes would be freakishly bloodshot...

doorspawn

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]DroKing[/nom]Calling me young? I been around that time and I respected him for that but that was in PAST. You cannot overlook his recent shenanigans.[/citation]
[citation][nom]DroKing[/nom]The guy who shafted PC gaming.[/citation]
1. So you seriously think his recent shenanigans are a bigger negative than his early contributions were a positive, enough to say he "shafted PC gaming".

2. This guy is still been working on improving graphics for us. He is still pioneering new graphics techniques for us to consume - for example, he recently explored how to bypass the CPU when loading textures from HDD. He currently works to find ways to reduce latency between game engine and monitor - in fact he advocates for gamers' interests with monitor manufacturers (ie, reduce your in-built hardware latencies plz).
He's currently working on trying to improve the quality of what is currently niche gaming hardware. No matter how much you're personally not interested in VR, making VR better can not be a negative. Not to mention that his current work on VR also has benefits for non VR gaming.

G

I think people need to read the full interview on the other web page, because Carmack is being badly misquoted by Tom's hardware. The people who are giving all these negative comments are taking it out of context.

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
I remember about 30 years ago when VR was supposed to be "the future". I'll file that away with flying cars, everyone wearing shiny metallic clothing, and various species of aliens walking around on Earth, breathing our atmosphere unassisted and speaking perfect English with a British accent.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Antimatter79[/nom]I remember about 30 years ago when VR was supposed to be "the future". I'll file that away with flying cars, everyone wearing shiny metallic clothing, and various species of aliens walking around on Earth, breathing our atmosphere unassisted and speaking perfect English with a British accent.[/citation]
30 years ago VR was a sci fi theme of what people expected for the future. 30 years ago we had less than a thousandth of the computing power we have today. It might very well be the future because noone in recent years has tried to merge VR with gaming the way hes trying to do now. I believe Carmack's idea will spread across gaming in the next few years. And the same way our PCs keep getting faster, this VR system will only get better.

aggroboy

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Really respected Carmack, played all his games. I was so there during the peak of the Quake phenomenon. Then years later I bought RAGE and it was so... meh.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]30 years ago VR was a sci fi theme of what people expected for the future. [/citation]

Instead, developers see that Rovio and Zynga are making a killing, so they don't even try to make technically impressive stuff.

G

He is in essence saying game play evolutions like new ways to interact with and experience the game environment are the way forward not more pretty and I agree with him, how could anyone not.

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Ok, so we don't have holodeck tech, yet, however - imagine a headset where the following functionality exists: >= 1080p, full 360o immersion as the head and body turns and pitches, no medical issues!, fixed 2o camera projects (if sitting next to keyboard !!) hands and keyboard onto small 'window' in the VR world, or - of course - the user has minority report type interaction as well as environment & inventory interaction (still very difficult to do right in a full VR environment - not good for certain gaming styles - hence seated position with keyboard projection), etc, etc....add your own ideal functionality

There is absolutely no doubt, whatsoever, of the outcome if they get this right!

Status
Not open for further replies.