CCleaner window messed up

Rex010

Commendable
Nov 16, 2016
I'm on Win 7 x64. Ccleaner was showing it's appropriate window style which is like this:
ccleaner1.png

But for some unknown reason it got messed up and now shows like this:
DOcnUbu.png

How did that happen and how can I fix it?

Thanks.

Solution
After some additional "googling about" and multiple peeks into my registry - I am beginning to question if the change can even be made.

Reference this link, albeit over a year old....

http://www.filecritic.com/piriform-ccleaner-5-09-gets-optimized-for-windows-10-64-bit-improved-support-for-cleaning-edge/

And this follow on:

http://www.filecritic.com/piriform-ccleaner-v5-10-released-and-heres-whats-new-in-it/

Note this sentence from the first link.

"The latest version of the app, moves its name “Piriform Cleaner” from the center of the title bar, in v5.08, to the left corner of the title bar, right next to its icon. CCleaner 5.09’s release notes does specify that there are some improvements to the UI’s styling as well as speed, and...
Not sure about the transistion between the windows shown in your post.

You first "Analyze" then "Run Cleaner".

However if you just ran ccleaner then running it (Analyze) again will find no files to clean.....

Did you do an CCleaner Update? Versions numbers are different - maybe the update was corrupted.

Or you have both versions installed....

Rex010

Commendable
Nov 16, 2016

I'm not talking about functionality. I'm talking about window style. The first image is only there to show how the window looked like before, which is how it is supposed to look (Win8/Win10 style). But now it is showing the native Win7 Aero style.

And I've been having this problem for like 10 months, or maybe longer.

Rex010

Commendable
Nov 16, 2016

Sheesh! Please pay attention to what I've written in my two comments above. I KNOW the version is different. I grabbed the first pic from the CC official screenshots page. I only posted that pic to show how the window style looked before on my PC. It doesn't have anything to do with version.

I've been having this problem for probably a year now.

Well, for what it is worth I am running Windows 10 Pro (64 bit).

My CCleaner (free version ) Window for 5.24.5841 looks just like your second window image having the same version number.

The only difference being the OS difference plus my Window provides some additional system information.

Just upgraded and no problems noted with the last "cleaning".

Is it possible that you either a) copied the Professional Version Screen for the comparison or b) downloaded and installed the Free Version of CCleaner?

Rex010

Commendable
Nov 16, 2016

Yes, I copied it for comparison. I always use CC free version (portable). Again, what I'm talking about is the window style!

And I've blacked out the additional info myself in the 2nd pic.

Previously it was showing the correct UI/style, but now it's using Win7's native Aero Glass window style. Something in registry or windows files must've been messed up at some point. I want to fix that and get back the window style that's shown in pic #1.

Just don't look at the version number or the free/professional thing. Don't look too deep into it.

And there is no way your window shows the Aero Glass style that's shown in the 2nd pic. Aero Glass is a Win7 feature.

Okay. Thanks - I think I now understand it. Hopefully :)

You are looking at the colored edges around the second image. I thought that that was just your deskop background. Some photo, picture, etc. with the Piriform CCleaner icon showing upper left.

Apologies for missing that earlier....

Anyway, I figured that there may be some registry entry involved that tells Windows to display a different "background" when CCleaner is opened.

I ran regedit and searched for "Piriform". That led me to Software>Piriform>CCleaner and a setting for "Brandover" with Data Value = 0 (on my system). There were three other options as well.

Since the Piriform CCleaner icon is appearing the "Brandover" made me think that something is telling Windows to use some image related to Piriform CCleaner in lieu of thel normal style that you want restored.

Then I did some more research and found this link:

https://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=45514

About 2/3's of the way down the posted thread is a printout of ccleaner.ini.

There is a reference to Brandover. Specifically "Brandover=0". Not sure what that setting does and what values are accepted/permitted.

I also noted that there is "AutoICS=1" as well.

Take a look at your registry settings and ccleaner.ini settings.

Compare the various values you have on the problem computer with another computer using CCleaner.

Try changing the values one at a time on the problem computer. Work with CCleaner.ini first. Hold off on any registry edits as they may not be necessary. Otherwise be sure to backup the registry first and again only make one change at a time. Note where and what you changed in case a roll back is needed.

Rex010

Commendable
Nov 16, 2016
^ No, you still don't understand. IDK, why it's so hard to understand such a simple issue that's so clear visually thru pics, and now that I've explained it multiple times. We haven't even started on a solution yet and I've wasted so much time just to explain my issue.

Now you're looking at the "colored edges"?! Of course that's my desktop background!

I'm explaining once again -- I just want to get rid of the Aero Glass theme and get the default Tile theme of CC back!

There is no ccleaner.ini since I already told that I use the portable version. It has only one EXE, which is Ccleaner.exe.

CCleaner does not automatically create the .ini file

You must go into Options > Advanced and check the box to have the CCleaner settings presented in an .ini file.

For what it may be worth, here is my ccleaner.ini file:

[Options]
UpdateKey=11/17/2016 01:43:02 PM
WipeFreeSpaceDrives=
CookiesToSave=*.piriform.com|accounts.google.com|facebook.com|google.com|yahoo.com
RunICS=0
Monitoring=1
SystemMonitoring=0
CheckTrialOffer=0
WINDOW_LEFT=400
WINDOW_TOP=130
WINDOW_WIDTH=1166
WINDOW_HEIGHT=600
WINDOW_MAX=0
SystemMonitoringRunningNotification=0
LastMonitoringNotificationTime=11/15/2016 07:40:23 PM
LMN=2|3|0|0|0|0|4|0|0|0||||
WipeMFTFreeSpace=0
AutoICS=1
Brandover=0
Language=1033
SkipUAC=1
NewVersion=5.24.5841
BackupDir=C:\Windows\System32
NewVersionNotification=0
AnalyzerTypes=1|1|1|1|0|0|0
SystemAnalyzerDrives=C:\
FinderInclude1=PATH|C:\|*.*|RECURSE|0|0|24
FinderIncludeStates=1

-----------------------------------------------

Not sure if any of the settings specifically control or influence Aero Glass.

Note the various WINDOW_ settings/values.

You may find some additional WINDOW_ command line option(s) in your .ini that invoke Aero Glass. Or are otherwise related to the theme selection.

My working premise is that if it is only CCleaner having the Aero Glass "look" then the focus should be on configuration settings related to CCleaner / Piriform.

If you can find the applicable configuration setting then hopefully some change therein will make the Aero Glass theme disappear and the tile theme return.

Unfortunately, no way to test on my end.

I am trying to help by looking for that configuration setting.

Rex010

Commendable
Nov 16, 2016
^ Ok, at least now I think you've understood it. I've genereated the INI and it looks like this:

[Options]
UpdateKey=11/17/2016 09:14:04 AM
WipeFreeSpaceDrives=C:\
CookiesToSave=*.piriform.com|google.com|www.google.com|yahoo.com
RunICS=0
Monitoring=0
ShowCleanWarning=False
WINDOW_LEFT=555
WINDOW_TOP=239
WINDOW_WIDTH=800
WINDOW_HEIGHT=600
WINDOW_MAX=0
CheckTrialOffer=0
(App)Application Paths=False

Now I have no idea what to do with it, since it doesn't show quite a bit of info that yours does. Keep in mind I'm using the portable free version.

Well I was hoping to see something like

"WINDOW_AERO=true".... or "WINDOW_TILE=1". Something that could obviously be changed directly or via the registry.

Differences in the .ini's could be due to our different OSs etc..

Here is a link that I found by googling "how to disable aero for a specific application".

http://www.inbox.com/article/how-do-disable-aero-for-specific-applications.html

There are other similar links. E.g.:

http://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/disable-aero-permanently-or-temporarily-in-windows-7/

So there are still options to be looked at and tried.

Do you see Aero Glass with all applications, just some applications, or just CCleaner?

If targeting CCleaner specifically does not work, then try one of the methods to disable all of aero.

Rex010

Commendable
Nov 16, 2016

Thanks for the links. I tried editing the Compatibility setting in the shortcut and even the EXE itself, but the whole "Settings" area is greyed out (?).

Then I tried disabling Aero completely, but still no difference in CC interface. Only the transparency was gone because I disabled it, obviously.

Aero Glass is my default. Only CC seems to have problems showing it's own interface, because I use some other apps that have a unique Tile interface too, and they all show without any problems.

After some additional "googling about" and multiple peeks into my registry - I am beginning to question if the change can even be made.

Reference this link, albeit over a year old....

http://www.filecritic.com/piriform-ccleaner-5-09-gets-optimized-for-windows-10-64-bit-improved-support-for-cleaning-edge/

And this follow on:

http://www.filecritic.com/piriform-ccleaner-v5-10-released-and-heres-whats-new-in-it/

Note this sentence from the first link.

"The latest version of the app, moves its name “Piriform Cleaner” from the center of the title bar, in v5.08, to the left corner of the title bar, right next to its icon. CCleaner 5.09’s release notes does specify that there are some improvements to the UI’s styling as well as speed, and that it adds the Windows app border. You can see the border by comparing the image featured above, and the one below."

Obviously from your viewpoint the styling is neither desired nor an improvement. And there is the mention of "Adds the Windows app border". Sounds permanent....

I also did a couple of searches using "Aero CCleaner Piriform" with a few variations.

Found a few other links and postings on the topic. A couple of those links were getting into technical details that included the registry and other configuration considerations. E.g., DWM, UxSms....

Here is one such link. Not sure if the link is fully applicable as you have not mentioned any "please wait" responses. But one posting therein indicated that that may not present.

http://www.askvg.com/fix-cant-apply-windows-aero-theme-after-applying-windows-basic-theme-in-windows-7/

What I have failed to determine thus far is whether or not Piriform/CCleaner has completely locked down any changes to its interface by either hardcoding the appearance or by ignoring any of the usual methods to change the styling to the user's preference.

Settings "greyed out" is not a promising sign.

Unfortunately, end user control is being eroded away for the sake of a "good user experience", "security", or other somewhat other contrived claims. Paying for software as a service; configuration as a service seems to be looming.... That would be a rant for some other venue.

Solution

Rex010

Commendable
Nov 16, 2016
Yes, you're right! I've just found out that Piriform scrapped the new look of CC for some unknown reasons, and now CC just acquires whatever default theme Windows has. So, there is nothing wrong with my system or OS. I'm finally relieved now.

Thanks a lot for all the help mate.

Cheers!