CD/MP3 Player Speakers Also Used with TV

johnbil

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2013
I’m having a problem visualizing how to connect these things. I have a CD/MP3 Player system
with some nice speakers. I want these speakers to do double duty. I want them to work with the player when it’s on. I also want them to act as speakers for our TV without the player being on.

The speakers are connected to the player by a set of two wires each. The TV has RCA jacks for Audio Input. If the speakers had RCA plugs, I think some Y adapters would do the trick.

I’m unsure how this would be done with the wiring involved. Anyone know if and how this could work? What type of plugs would I need?

Regards…John

https://s22.postimg.cc/oxq943vwx/Speakers_TV.jpg

Solution
Thanks for the pictures, it explains everything and makes what you want impossible, without further expenditure$.

U cannot use speakers stand-along because they need amplification, mp3 provides the amplification, TV only outputs audio via the optical connector and it's an un-amplified signal.

If mp3 player has an AUX IN jack (it doesn't), that will make it work, still need to have player turned on.

In order to make this work, lets talk about getting more stuff.... you will need a Toslink (optical) to RCA adapter (not expensive), and some sort of amplifier with AUX IN jacks, got an old boombox or receiver sitting in the attic?

If I were u I dump that idea and buy a nice soundbar that goes beneath/on top of the TV.
Thanks for the pictures, it explains everything and makes what you want impossible, without further expenditure$.

U cannot use speakers stand-along because they need amplification, mp3 provides the amplification, TV only outputs audio via the optical connector and it's an un-amplified signal.

If mp3 player has an AUX IN jack (it doesn't), that will make it work, still need to have player turned on.

In order to make this work, lets talk about getting more stuff.... you will need a Toslink (optical) to RCA adapter (not expensive), and some sort of amplifier with AUX IN jacks, got an old boombox or receiver sitting in the attic?

If I were u I dump that idea and buy a nice soundbar that goes beneath/on top of the TV.

Solution
The TV has audio inputs not outputs so those are useless. If the TV had audio output then you still have to connect the TV to the player rather than directly to the passive speakers.
If the TV has a headphone jack that could connect to the player.
If the TV has optical audio out then you will need an optical to analog converter. Check the TV manual on how to use the optical output.

johnbil

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2013
Thanks for the answers. Forgive me though. Both of you mention that the TV only has an optical audio connector. My TV also has two regular audio output jacks pn the right (see picture). Don't they provide an amplified signal?

If you're referring to the white/red jacks on the back panel of your TV, these're labeled 'Component IIN", and are used if you want to connect eg old VHS player to your TV. These jacks are (unfortunately) no outputs.

The one on the right of DTV/TV is labeled "Audio Out', but below it is a label "Optical". This is what @jsmithepa has been talking about - you would need an optical-to-analog adapter if your stereo had any inputs.

Unless your TV has different back panel from the one you've pictured.

johnbil

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2013
As I said in my original post, my TV has AUDIO OUTPUTS (look at the picture). That was what I wanted to use not the Optical Audio Out. I don’t know why that keeps being brought up. I never mentioned that option.

Can I use the speakers with the TV without an in between amplifier of some sort?

If so, what would I need to connect the speakers (they have two bare wires each attached to them…no plugs) and the RCA jacks of the TV? That was my question.

Oh OK, missed that, unusual for TV to have audio out like that, but if those are universal audio outs, meaning used by TV for general output, YES use that and no need for Optical converter. STILL NEEDS AN AMPLIFIER THOUGH, as already discussed.