CD player can't find start of track

eob2000

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
I have an issue with my JVC RC-X510 stereo. It plays commercial CDs fine. The problem is with CD-Rs. When I put in the disk it displays on the screen the number of tracks and total runtime. When I press play 90% of the time it will spin up then just go back to that screen. Occasionally it will find the track and play through the CD fine. Pausing causes it to lose its place on the CD. Also it will sometimes start partway through a track and the time counter does show it is half way through. I was thinking it could be an alignment issue but commercial CDs play fine so I wouldn't think thats the issue. Anyone have any suggestions?

eob2000

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013

The CD works perfectly on all other CD players ive tried, besides it does it with all CD-Rs

PsyKhiqZero

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
I agree test the cd in another player to see if it works fine. However I will say that the boombox looks quite old. My personal experience is that older cd players have difficulty reading the new "lighter" colored cd-rs. If you can find some older ones that have the darker hue you may have better luck.

eob2000

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013

I will try and find some older ones, I was unaware of the difference. However I think the CD-Rs im using are quite old anyway

eob2000

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013

The thing is sometimes it plays the CD-Rs fine, it just struggles to find the start of the track (At least I think thats whats going on)

eob2000

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
Another bit of info, If the player is turned off and then turned on the player will not read the track count and play time, It just displays zeros. You need to insert and let it read a commercial CD before it will get the track and time count from the CD-R then you have to stop and eject the CD-R repeatedly to get it to play. Also it will not play track 1 without playing subsequent tracks first then going back

Then I'd just keep using another CD player.

Louise Porkolt

Estimable
Nov 25, 2014
Hi there,

try to clean the lense !! I had this with an old cd-player from Sony. it worked after cleased !

Also try to burn the CD in a lower SPEED. when a CD is burned the holes burned can be oval instead of round, in higher speeds !
try to burn at 8x or lower to be compatible !

Let us know,
Cheers, Louise.

A burned CD is not the same as a commercially manufactured CD. CD-Rs use a dye which the laser "burns". There are no actual pits. Older CD drives in CD players were not designed to read CD-Rs at all but some could read the ones that did not start out green before burning. The laser that reads CDs does age with use so it may not be able to read what it could when new.