Cell phone for college

gbrkct

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
I'll be starting college next year and I'm going to want to get a different cell phone. Unfortunatly I just got a new 2 yr contract at the end of summer and I don't want to have to pay an early termination fee. I'm on verizon.

I currently have the Intensity II which I dislike for reasons. I'm going to want a new phone but I don't have the money for any form of data plan. I want more of a smartphone- type phone and Im currently looking at the Palm Centro since it has that look and as far as I believe it isn't required to get a data plan with it (plus it's like $100 or less). I just don't like how the UI is very old looking.

Would that be a good phone? Is there anything else you could recommend? (if there aren't any other good dataless smartphones I could also live with something really aesthetic and thin(<.5 in) (preference of candybar, but not as important).

Don't want anything with a lot of devoted keys to music.

Thanks!!

all smartphones on verizon require a data package. this would include droids, iphones, windows7phones and blackberries. the only way i could see not getting a data connection would be a pay-as-you-go type plan which would hit you up for the termination fee which you do not want. you could however get the lowest data plan possible and just limit your data usage. i think the plans start at $10-15 or so but you might want to check.

---

you said you would be buying a phone without the new-every-two discount. $150 is not going to buy you much. you would be very lucky to get one of the dumb-phone clamshell style models for that price let alone a smartphone of any type. your best bet would be to get a refurbished or used phone that works on the cell network and have them activate it. you could try ebay or other such areas to try and locate one.

---

as far as a phone with a smartphone-like look and feel but without it actually being a smartphone there were a few phones released like the lg dare a few years back. its a dumbphone with a few included apps like navigation and a touch screen. i think it was only 2g though since phones back then were slow.

---

in summary your only two real options for a phone are to get a refurbished or used phone in your budget since you will be buying at full retail prices. as far as a data connection is concerned if you get a smartphone you will require one.