Cell Phones Cause Rotting Brains... Again

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Ok, so you think people haven't been using cell phones long enough? Really? They've been popular since the late 90s, are you moving at the pace of snails here? And why are we trusting researchers from Scandinavia and Israel with our safety?

ukcal

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
Hmm, using phones could cause cancer. Correct me if i'm wrong, but having sex could get you infected with all sorts of things, right? It's the risk you take, i wouldn't put down my phone even if there were definite links to cancer.

lvlouro

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
[citation][nom]supertrek32[/nom]I'm pretty sure the only way you won't get cancer now days is if you live in a completely dark, electromagnetic-proof box doing absolutely nothing. Getting food and water might be problematic, but if you can overlook that small detail you're good to go! No more cancer![/citation]

Even then you'll get cancer

[citation][nom]kami3k[/nom]Quick don't breath, it will cause cancer.[/citation]

You joke but breathing can potentially cause cancer since oxygen is in fact a producer of free radicals that can mutate DNA hence causing cancer

[citation][nom]montezuma[/nom]Cellular phones have never, nor will ever cause cancer. Unless a manufacturer makes a phone that is powered by a nuclear energy source that, in turns, leaks radioactive material all over the user, a cellular phone will not be capable of causing cancer. Ever.[/citation]

Ok, so you think only radioactive stuff causes cancer???
So you think that sun rays are radioatcive!!! the UV rays are in fact more mutagenic than some radioactive rays.

Since cell phones emit waves of the electromagnetic spectra depending on it's effect on cells it can potentially cause cancer

jsc

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004
"In my opinion, the current safety standards are not sufficiently supported by science because of very limited research on human volunteers," Dariusz Leszcynski, a research professor at the University of Finland.

Right. I'll volunteer for that study.

gekko668 wrote: "Next up - Jacking off will make your penis shrink"

It does; it does. Mine used to reach halfway down to my knees until I ... Never mind. More information than you need to know.

Thurin

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
[citation][nom]supertrek32[/nom]I'm pretty sure the only way you won't get cancer now days is if you live in a completely dark, electromagnetic-proof box doing absolutely nothing. Getting food and water might be problematic, but if you can overlook that small detail you're good to go! No more cancer![/citation]

And then you realized that there is also hereditary forms of cancer, still get cancer and die alone, sealed in a box...

Sad way to go.

To be quite honest peeps, the only thing certain in life is death.
When it comes we do not know, but it will come.

Living gets you cancer, along with anything from wearing jeans to eating fast food.

Don't live to die or to get sick, live your life to the fullest, be the best you can be... and when you die, at least you will have no regrets.

My 2 cents,

Mike

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
There are so many people in my neighborhood who die in cancer at a conspicuously young age and where I live isn't really known for being more polluted than other areas. So to me it's obvious that we're exposed to chemicals that are not good for us maybe through the pollution or from what we eat or even both.

The problem is that it can be very difficult to find the causes and correlation generally doesn't imply causality which make investigations difficult to evaluate. That's why the results from such investigations can turn out to be so dubious.

G

Cell phones operate at frequency very close to that of microwave ovens. There have been cases of cancer related phone use found in the late 80s - early 90s before cell phones were abundant, towers were scarce and the phones were much more powerful to compensate.

This issue has been going on for what seems like forever, with no real conclusion. However this is a billion (trillion?) dollar industry and don't think for a second that does not have anything to do with the "more research is needed" advertisement.

RooD

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2004
I sometimes feel my phone vibrate in my pocket... when it is on the charger, and it vibrates right where the phone rests on my leg.

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Did you know? Research has shown that life is the no.1 cause of death! Try to avoid living whenever you can thx.

cinergy

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
[citation][nom]BSlikeAlways[/nom]That's nice a Finnish scientist thinks that the US should dump more funds into research. Why not Finland, it is home to one of the largest cell phone companies?[/citation]

Firstly, Nokia is THE largest company and secondly if US can even spare billions of dollars in waging wars I think US can handle this type of research financially a bit better than Finland, and thirdly "Dariusz Leszcynski" is not even a Finn. So there you have it :)

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]montezuma[/nom]Cellular phones have never, nor will ever cause cancer.[/citation]
I guess you have more brains and knowledge than the entire community of scientists studying this problem. Wow. Impressive. Smartest person in montezuma world, for sure.

danny69t

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
"With that said, who needs drugs when iPhones and Blackberrys will scramble our brains for us? By the time researchers figure it out, the general population will be mutants."

When i start reading an article i don't look who wrote it, but when i read the text i quoted i knew it's Kevin.
Oh.... Kevin, Kevin, Kevin.... when will we read no more of your "funny jokes" at the end of articles?

G

Cancer, which mostly caused by microwaving the brain. They won't rot from that, rather just fry...

Baked brains, fried brains, or microwaved brains all taste the same!

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
It isn't that hard to believe these new statements. Even though these statements have been around for years, only recently people should take heed to them. Every one of us look for the best possible price on stuff. When prices go down there needs to be a reason, usually the reason is better manufacturing means. But if you disect that, it really means they found ways to cut corners.

Apple is a company that comes to mind right away! Exploding batteries in laptops, over heating ipod/iphones.. These are all examples of cheaper manufacting methods. The inital reaction to this is it is not Apple's fault since they do not manufacture the devices but YES it is their fault. They are given several options from ODMs and 9 times out of 10 they choose the cheapest!

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
There are some damned retard people here. Cellular phones cannot cause cancer. Goddamn it, quit being so damned gullible.

lvlouro: You are the biggest fucking idiot here, it seems. When you get your medical degree of a PHD in Biology or Chemistry, then you let me know. Until then, leave the science to the real scientist.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]I guess you have more brains and knowledge than the entire community of scientists studying this problem. Wow. Impressive. Smartest person in montezuma world, for sure.[/citation]

"...the entire community of scientists..." does not believe that cellular phones cause cancer. Just because some scientist run a study, it does not mean they believe the target is the cause of the studies effect. Thank God your are not a scientist.

I would go more indepth on this subject, but it is not worth my time. The next time you feel like giving my post a thumbs down, make sure you know what you are talking about first.

Status
Not open for further replies.