Centre Speaker/Sub mixed up on PC > Audio Splitter

Kriano

Commendable
Mar 11, 2016
So, I recently did a bit of screwing around with my setup so that I have everything from my PC to my consoles using the same monitor and sound system (Logitech Z506) without buying a home theater system/new speaker system right at this moment.

It looked impossible at first thanks to Logitech not really working with much else than a PC, until I came across a HDMI in HDMI out audio splitter that has the exact audio jacks that work with the Logitech speakers. Every speaker works correctly except the center speaker and the sub, in a pretty hilarious way to boot. When I test it in the sound configuration settings (under a 5.1 configuration, but the issue happens on 7.1 as well), the sub sound is played from the center speaker, and the center speaker sound is played from the sub.

Would anyone happen to have any clue if it's possible to reverse the two to get them to play how they should be playing? Since I have to deal with this setup for another few months at least, it would be nice for my speakers not to have an identity crisis.

The Audio Splitter
The Speakers

Extra pictures for extra context:

1ranmt.png
Sound properties

2mewtuw.jpg
Audio Splitter Front

ipsdie.jpg
Audio Splitter Back

Solution
As cryoburner says the diy & free method would be splitting & rewiring the cable.

Or spend a few dollars & buy 2 cables so you can reverse the signals

A 3.5mm female to twin rca female

41WdlJkKrwL._SY400_.jpg

& a 3.5mm male to twin rca male

31-C3KQCgKL._AC_SX307_SY443_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

& just reverse the rca's to suit

cryoburner

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
The wires for the subwoofer and center channel should both be contained in that orange cable, along with a shared ground wire. If nothing else worked, you could always strip the wires in that cable and reattach them with the two wires swapped. : D

Does this happen on one device, or all of them? In the audio drivers on your PC, there may be an option to swap the center channel. If it's only your PC that has this reversed channel problem, that might be what needs to be done. Your consoles might not offer such an option though.

Kriano

Commendable
Mar 11, 2016

Currently, like this:

9vlcwj.jpg

Before I did this, the speakers were directly connected to my computer as they usually would be with any Logitech speakers. Green, orange and black cables in the same colours on the back of my computer, then connected to the speakers.

The speakers are only capable of 5.1, the audio splitter allows both 5.1 and 7.1, and my PC is currently configured for 5.1. The speakers work as expected when connected directly to the PC, playing the 5.1 audio I'd expect with no center/sub swap issue. The setup I have now, though (in the picture above) has the issue of the sound for the sub coming through the center speaker, and the sound for the center coming through sub speaker.

As cryoburner says the diy & free method would be splitting & rewiring the cable.

Or spend a few dollars & buy 2 cables so you can reverse the signals

A 3.5mm female to twin rca female

41WdlJkKrwL._SY400_.jpg

& a 3.5mm male to twin rca male

31-C3KQCgKL._AC_SX307_SY443_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

& just reverse the rca's to suit

Solution

Kriano

Commendable
Mar 11, 2016

Ahah, I don't think stripping the cables is something I'm up to doing- I'm not confident enough that I wouldn't break something, plus I get the feeling this is PC specific. Most issues I have when I change my setup are due to my computer, they're the most likely thing to mess up. That said I haven't exactly tested it on any of my consoles yet, since I'm not sure how I could- I don't know of any PS3 options that play test sounds for each speaker, for example, and others like my Mini SNES or PS2 won't be able to. Any suggestions?

I did look into how they could be swapped before posting this, by the way, the issue is most of the info I could find was about either a specific option on the realtek application, or an option in sound properties under the enhancements tab. I have AMD audio drivers, but they don't seem to have any way to customize the audio under the Radeon Settings, and there's nothing under enhancements in the sound properties that swaps any of the speakers, just room correction and sound equalization. To clarify that's more or less what I was asking about- how I might be able to get that option. I have been thinking of just giving downloading the realtek drivers a shot (they are what I had before the AMD drivers), but I have no idea if that would cause issues with the AMD drivers.

Realtek drivers are independant of the amd drivers both hardware & software wise.

Tjey are purelynfornyournmotherboard outputs be it the 3 analog 3.5mm outs or optical/coax if your board has them.

Assuming you're stripping your hdmi audio from an amd gpu output you are not.going to get channel changing options & realtek drivers will not solve that (as I said they use completely different hardware)

A pair of cables allowing you to switch the channels physically is your best option.

Kriano

Commendable
Mar 11, 2016
Okay, so I was only just able to properly test this out on my PS3. Oohboy that mix up is obvious. Turns out this isn't just an issue with the PC.

I'll definitely be getting those cables madmatt30, thankyou for letting me know about them.

cryoburner

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Yeah, buying some proper cables might be a more convenient solution than cutting and splicing them back together, and should allow you to to switch back and forth easily if needed.

For verifying surround speaker configuration, I've been using the "5.1 Surround Test File" available from this site...

http://www.lynnemusic.com/surround.html

Both WMA and AC3 audio formats are available, and at least one of those should be compatible with most playback devices.