Solved! Certain keys in Laptop keyboard go non-functional after 1 year repeatedly even after replacement

Jul 17, 2019
I have a Toshiba C640 satellite. The problem first arose when around after 1 year of purchase, the keys o,l etc on the keyboard went non-functional. Since the warranty was still valid, I contacted the customer care and they replaced the keypad. The problem again arose after around a year. This time I replaced the keypad again. It worked perfectly for around one and a half years, but the problem repeated again. So, I have three different keypads all having the same problem, but the problem is not exhibiting itself instantly after the replacement. But around after 1-1.5 years of perfectly normal behaviour, the problem keeps resurfacing. What may be the reason? And it's the same keys that go non-functional with each keyboard (o,l etc).

Solution
While there 'could' be a flaw in the keyboards for that device, it is not as likely as the way you are using it may be the cause. The fact that it takes time to happen, and happens on all of them leads me to that conclusion. However, that said, another way to test it would be to use an external keyboard, instead of the installed one, for the duration and see if that keyboard winds up with the same problem. If it does, then you know it is how it is being used. If it doesn't, then the keyboards for the laptop just may have a flaw.
While there 'could' be a flaw in the keyboards for that device, it is not as likely as the way you are using it may be the cause. The fact that it takes time to happen, and happens on all of them leads me to that conclusion. However, that said, another way to test it would be to use an external keyboard, instead of the installed one, for the duration and see if that keyboard winds up with the same problem. If it does, then you know it is how it is being used. If it doesn't, then the keyboards for the laptop just may have a flaw.

Solution
Jul 17, 2019

I have a desktop and no, the problem has never occurred with the desktop keyboard. In fact, I am using the same since 7-8years or so.