Certain keys on my laptop dont work

G

Hello,
I was using my laptop fine yesterday, now some of my keys dont work. I am using On-screen keyboard, but I cant go on like this because i need this laptop for important uni work. The non-respondant keys are as followed:

space
z
n
b
all arrow keys

Thats it as far as i know, Any way I can fix this without taking it to a shop?

Please help, I really can't take this to a shop :(

fjbirdman

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
Hello,
I was using my laptop fine yesterday, now some of my keys dont work. I am using On-screen keyboard, but I cant go on like this because i need this laptop for important uni work. The non-respondant keys are as followed:

space
z
n
b
all arrow keys

Thats it as far as i know, Any way I can fix this without taking it to a shop?

Please help, I really can't take this to a shop :(

Well Jessie -- You didn't say WHAT KIND of laptop it was, but this is a very common problem. Sometimes it's from spilling something in the keyboard, but often it's just a Cheap keyboard. If you don't want to go to a shop then you'll have to fix it yourself. Keyboards are EASY to change. First decide What keyboard you need -- If it's an HP or Compaq, go to the HP website and look for "downloads and manuals" - Find the service or disassembly manual for your specific model number (usually in PDF form) and scroll through it for the Part Numbers. You can ORDER right from HP (or Dell or whatever kind it is) or.....go to Ebay and type in the Type and model number (i.e., Dell inspiron 1721 keyboard) and it will find you a person selling the keyboards. Try to get one from the USA or it will take a long time to get. They cost between $7 and $25 or so. Then when it arrives you must take out the old one and install the new -- You will need a set of small precision screwdrivers (about $3-$5 at any store) like you would use for glasses. There is usually a plastic panel at the top of the laptop (just ahead of the keyboard) to remove -- It usually snaps in, but on some models there are screws holding it from the bottom. Turn the laptop over and look for screws marked with a "K" or a tiny picture of a keyboard next to them. Remove those screws only! Turn the unit over and after you remove the plastic panel...you'll see the keyboard is held by 3-5 screws. Carefully remove them, noting if some are longer or shorter and which holes they came from. Slide the keyboard up towards the screen and tilt it - You'll see a flat cable (ribbon) connecting the keyboard to the motherboard. It unplugs by pulling the "tab" carefully. Set the old keyboard aside and install the new one in reverse order. Takes about 15-20 minutes to do. It you are afraid to do this, ask someone to help! I usually do this for people at my church for a $10 fee -- Repair shops charge about $75. Good luck!

kubusheskie

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
]The exact same has happenesd to my Hp with the same letters, i was just wondering if there was a virus or something in it because i know for a fact that nothing got spilt so if anyone has any suggestions of what you can try just from your computer it would be very helpful <3 :cry: