Certain keys stop working at times, performance issues.

lauted

Estimable
Oct 17, 2015
Hello everyone!

Firstly, I've been having problems with my ThinkPad Edge E530 keyboard lately. At random moments, certain buttons on my keyboard stop working (b, n, space, AltGr, Left Arrow, Right Arrow, Down Arrow). It usually starts with the space button losing responsiveness.
I have not spilled anything on my computer. This seems to be a software/driver issue, because the buttons usually start working after a while again (as you can see) or, as a desperate measure, when I shut down the computer, remove the cable and battery, and hold down the start button for a minute. According to the Device Manager all the drivers are fine.

Yesterday I tried to fix the problem by uninstalling my keyboard driver and installing a new one from the Lenovo site. However, the new driver did not work, so I was forced to do a system refresh (I have Windows 8.1). This seemed to fix the keyboard problem at first, but it also slowed down my computer quite a bit. Programs freeze very easily, Firefox scripts tend to crash, and the computer can't handle my external sound card anymore (disk overload constantly).

The Event Viewer's performance diagnostics is giving worrying signs such as "Persisting disk caches was slower than expected". Again, the laptop had no performance issues before the refresh.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to be as detailed as possible.

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help in fixing that issue.

- Check keyboard language settings.
- Open Control Panel and look for Region and Language.
- Check all tabs if they are all set to United States.
- If that doesn't work try pressing those following keys which are not working using your onscreen keyboard
- Press Windows + R at the same time and type "osk" then press Enter to open the Onscreen keyboard
- If all those keys are working just fine it's time to replace the keyboard.

About the freezing issue, have you tried doing a factory reset with your laptop using a Recovery disc that was supplied by the manufacturer? It could be that the factory image that's in your laptop is damaged already.

lauted

Estimable
Oct 17, 2015
Hi!

Thank you for answering! I'm happy to say, however, that the keyboard issue has disappeared after about 5-6 restarts after the Windows refresh.

I managed to fix the freezing issue by turning off unnecessarily flashy Windows 8.1 graphics and, more importantly, by restarting a service called "Windows Modules Installer". According to the Task Manager, it was this service that was hogging up all the CPU.