Challenging stripped laptop screw - should I drill or use a screw extractor?

Componentgirl90

Estimable
Jan 9, 2015
I have a HP laptop which has a problemetic stripped screw in it. I managed to get another stripped screw out by trying different screwdrivers but this one doesn't seem to budge. To add to the issue, it is deep inside a hole in the case which is about 6mm or so wide.

The hole means it is inaccessible for many screw extractors. The screw is 4mm in diameter at the head.

What size screw extractor should I use? Or Should I use a drill? The issue I have with using a drill is that it will need to be precisely done so not as to drill beyond the screw head and actually into the laptop itself.

p.s. I tried the elastic band trick to no avail.

Reactions: Toscano371

geofelt

Distinguished

Componentgirl90

Estimable
Jan 9, 2015
Thanks for the quick reply.

I will try a screw extractor first. I am uncertain as to how to determine the appropriate size extractor. I wonder if any extractor with a head less than the diameter of the screw head (4mm, 0.16 inches), would do?

The body of the extractor can be no wider than 6 mm (0.24 inches) to ensure it will go down the hole all the way to the screw.

aldan

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2013
if the screw extractor doesnt work you can drill the screw out without damaging the threads.just drill the head off of the screw and once the laptop is apart you should have enough of the screw sticking out to remove it with a pair of pliers.

aldan

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2013
that is a really small screw and i have to say there is no way you can drill a small enough hole right down the center of that screw to even use the extractor.believe me,get a drill the size of the head of the screw.carefully drill the head off and once the cover is off use a pair of plyers to unthread the screw shank.if you do try to drill the screw itself out i can guarantee you that you wont be putting one back in.if you dont understand these directions post back and i will try to explain.

Componentgirl90

Estimable
Jan 9, 2015
Thanks Aldan.

It is for sure a tiny screw. I dont think the screw is important. It holds part of the keyboard in place but I am pretty sure the keyboard will stay in place without it. Drilling through it will probably cause no damage to the laptop so long as I dont use too big a drill. I must be careful not to drill too far.

I am having difficulty finding an appropriate screw extractor anyway.

Componentgirl90

Estimable
Jan 9, 2015
Hi guys, I drilled in with an old hand drill I found in the garage. During the drilling it must have been turned by the drill and came out.

@Alabalcho - Thanks for that. I tried that a few times but that method unfortunately didn't work for this screw.

aldan

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2013

reverse rotation drill by chance?lol