Solved! Change cpu on an asus U31SD laptop.

May 20, 2018
Wasup guys.

I have an old asus U31SD laptop that I use for streaming movies to my tv. And I'm wondering if it is possible to upgrade the i3 in it to an i5?

See: https://www.asus.com/Laptops/U31SD/specifications/

The specs say they supported "Intel® Core™ i5 2410M Processor" at one point. I know there are other cpu's like the Core i5-2430M, but I'm guessing these won't work?

Any thoughts? Ty.

Solution
I think its pretty unlikely you'll be able to do this, though no harm in investigating.
Have you checked whether the CPU is soldered into the motherboard, as it is on some laptops?
Assuming the CPU can physically be replaced, you'd then need to consider whether you can update the bios to accommodate the change - you're configuration with the i5 might differ in other ways from the i5 installed models.
You'd then also need to consider how the os is going to respond to the change - Windows will generally view a change of motherboard as a new system. You can change a few key components, maybe cpu, generally GPU, but too much and it says 'this is a new computer'. (Though if you're on Windows 10 you could maybe just run an un-activated install.)

CrazyDingo

Estimable
May 1, 2015
I think its pretty unlikely you'll be able to do this, though no harm in investigating.
Have you checked whether the CPU is soldered into the motherboard, as it is on some laptops?
Assuming the CPU can physically be replaced, you'd then need to consider whether you can update the bios to accommodate the change - you're configuration with the i5 might differ in other ways from the i5 installed models.
You'd then also need to consider how the os is going to respond to the change - Windows will generally view a change of motherboard as a new system. You can change a few key components, maybe cpu, generally GPU, but too much and it says 'this is a new computer'. (Though if you're on Windows 10 you could maybe just run an un-activated install.)

Solution
May 20, 2018

Pretty sure they aint soldered in. Ill double check that later. Bios thing might be an issue. Hmm ill mail asus about it and check if the running bios from 2011 (Version 205 2011/12/16) supports other cpus. Ill get back to you.